Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve got a few seeping rivets in my aluminum boat. I`ve tried Glovit with no sucess. Anyone recommend a shop for hull rivet repair? I figure a bit of rivet tightening would do it. I`m in Arvada.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Is the boat on a trailer? Find someone to hold a brass cylinder on the rivets under the boat and hit a brass punch with a hammer over the top. I spent quite a few hours under a boat tightening rivets when we had a freshwater aluminum boat out on saltwater taking a beating. This worked to keep us leak free for a while.

·
Registered
749 Posts
They make this stuff called green stick. You used to be able to get it at CD Jones. I use a propane torch and heat it up just put it on the leak. It was designed for old refigerators to repair the aluminum coils when people poked a hole in them chipping ice.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I bought a 16ft alum boat that my cousin had left out in the weather.
Some rivets leaked...

I prepped the bottom and applied 'truck bed liner' to the bottom of the boat. [The good stuff] from front to back.

Lotsa traction too

It dont leak no more!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Several years ago I took my aluminum boat to Mountain Marine on E 56th Ave in Commerce City to have a couple of missing rivets on the transom replaced. I don't recall why I ended up going there, as a couple of marine dealers are closer to me. Perhaps it was a job the local guys couldn't do and they referred me to Mountain Marine. Anyway, no complaints with the work.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You might want to try a product called Marine Tex. I've been using it for 25+ years and I have things, (A sink and an exhaust manifold and a toilet bowl) that are still holding together after this time. It's a two part epoxy and can be bought at most marine stores or online. When you apply it as it starts to set up you can smooth it our with a damp cloth to almost gloss finish. After it dries, it can be sanded but your better off smoothing it while it's still pliable. Once set, it's going to be there for a very long time.

Bill

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My main concern is that the sealer must be flexible enough to withstand the `movement ` of the aluminum hull. I`ve tried epoxies and JB weld but they can`t take the inherant flex and eventually flake off. The other problem I have is that the `leakers`run thru outside skegs and internal ribs so I can`t get sealer on all three joints. Glovit was a total waste of time . ARRGHH !

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
I sheared the tops off several rivets on my last aluminum boat. Took it to a boat shop off of 56th and Quebec in commerce city. They put in some new ones and no more leaks!

Mountain Marine is the name.303-287-0810

1 - 13 of 13 Posts