Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was our first time fishing from a boat on Chatfield and we were able to get on the lake until 10:30 AM. It was real crowded on the lake at that time, but it was getting there pretty fast.
I had read in the Forum that fishing was pretty descent by the dam, so we tried that area. Unfortunately, we did not now that the area was full of rocks at the bottom. I casted out some PowerBait twice and lost the PowerBait, hook, sinker twice..... no more of that! Then, I put a Curl Tail Minnow lure w/ a piece of nightcrawler on it and done some casting with that. Nothing! Heck, there were very few fish showing up on our FishFinder. We dropped our anchor, not thinking about the rocks below us, and had a heck of a time trying to get our anchor back up. When we finally did get it back up, we had a nice size rock on it.
We then went to an area around the corner from the Marina and I tried the Curl Tail again.....no luck.
We decided, "That's enough for today" and just done some cruising around the lake for an hour.
Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!!!
Cowboy & His Wife

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
As far as the sinkers and hooks, I have somewhat of a soulution. Hook a 3 eye swival to your line. On one side put your leader (I use 6 lbs Trilene XL) w/ hook ( I use Size 16 or 14 trebals). On the other eye put some line w/ an egg sinker (It just slides on line). To hold it on put a small split shot. This way, if your sinker gets stuck. You will still have your hook and bait. The split shot and egg sinker will pull right off. This method really pays off if you hook a fish, and your sinker gets tied up.
  As for the fishing, If your going for trout. Maybe try earlier, or later (when it's cooler). I think it was Jay that posted a killer way to catch trout. I tried a version of his method, and it's deadly. You could search, under Aurora, Trout, Ice fishing jigs, I don't know. If I find it I'll tell you.
  Anyway, just keep trying. Sometimes they just aren't biting

Best of kuck 

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Thats a great idea, I do something similar, instead of using a heavier line and a split shot I use a section of one or two pound test line it breaks off easily if I snag.

Dan

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
James

Thanks for your advice about the "hook/sinker" set up. Next time, we will try that.
Only thing is, I don't know if it was the hook, the sinker or both that got stuck in the rocks. I couldn't pull any of it up and had to cut my line at the end of the rod.
Once I got home, I thought of something else. I could have just let the hook/sinker drop straight down in the water next to the boat and not casting it out. That way, the hook/sinker wouldn't be dragged along the bottom from casting out.
You are also right about the time of day. A guy in the Forum said that he got to Chatfield at 6PM and had real good luck fishing. The time of day and the temperature can sometimes make a major difference in fishing.
Cowboy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts