Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go camping we just keep the cooler and the dry food goods in the back of my pickup. I only have a tauneau (sp?) cover over the bed.

We keep the dry food goods in big tuppaware containers. About the size of a cooler.

You think I'm asking for bear trouble?

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
It all depends on where ya go.Its rare to have any trouble when truck camping,I've done a ton of it.When you backpack into the boonies,ya gotta be careful-but I wouldnt worry too much.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SLAYERFISH said:
It all depends on where ya go.Its rare to have any trouble when truck camping,I've done a ton of it.When you backpack into the boonies,ya gotta be careful-but I wouldnt worry too much.
So camping in like Williams Fork, 11 Mile, Blue Mesa, or Navajo I shouldn't worry about it?

I'm in a tent, so I figure if the bear is eating my dinner out of my truck that will give me a chance to run. ???

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Bears sense of smell is pretty hard to defeat. your best bet is staying someplace that is not right next to your food supply. when backpacking its up in a tree away from your camp, and in campgrounds...well, thats hard to do since the whole place is usually littered with food or trash cans anyways. in your truck i guess, in a cooler...thats better than putting it in your tent.

i usually carry a pistol outdoors with me...but i believe oleoresin capsicum spray (OC pepper spray) would be more effective on a bear...you dont have to be as precise with it, it wont kill the guy in the camp ground next to you, and its easy to use. Also it will save you from the trouble DOW will be confronting you with if you do happen to shoot a bear. Commerical made bear spray is of higher concentration than that the kind military or police use on people--- its strong enough to permanently blind a human infact--so be careful with it. also dont store it in your car or someplace where it might overheat or explode. plus, unlike a handgun which can be difficut for some people to use effectively, pepper spray takes very little training to use.

ive been sprayed with pepper spray before, (in training fellas, not in a bar by some girl...) and its no joke. it pretty much took me out of the picture for an hour, i felt like my face was hit with a blowtorch. before that i had been exposed to tear gas and military CS, which i thought was irritating, but not too bad...but OC in the right concentration will take the fight out of you pretty quick. the stuff used on bears works pretty much in the same capacity i hear,so its worth looking into.

to get back to your origional question though---yeah, hide your chow out of reach in in airtight containers and the bears should leave you alone...

·
Registered
460 Posts
if you arent using the truck, put teh stuff inside teh truck, when you use the trcuk put it in the bed. this will also keep it dry.
A good idea is to ask someone where you are camping (ranger) if there have been any bears around. if there have been ask them what they recommend you do with your food.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I think your fine, Tuppaware is usually pretty good. The thing I would really worry about are sweets. Make sure the wrappers and anythign that is sweet is put up or in the trash. I use bear bags personally when I'm in areas that have bears. The worst thing I think you have to worry about keeping the stuff in your truck and in Tuppaware is mere-bears (squirrels, chimpmunks, ect).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts