Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if im crazy but I might try Cherry Creek friday. I get off work at noon and need to fish. In the last 3 trips there ive only managed 3 fish. What is so hard to swollow about CC is I mark soooo many fish but can't get them to bite.

Am I crazy for trying again or should I keep going for it?

-Jay

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Lonetree does the same thing to me...but I am going to figure it out one of these times...fish everywhere on the sonar...CripeZ!!!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know man. Maybe ill just drive around with a big net in the water and get rid of all those dam shad. I know the next sate record walleye is in there laughing at us.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I know this is the time of the year when a bazillion little shad hatch and the fish stuff themselves on the little ones rather than the big ones...I know many did well at Chatfield last year pulling out the little glass shad raps and casting or trolling...might be something to try...

Terre has a boat that could double for a Japanese fishing boat and we get one more and stretch two nets between them...we might even catch a few lake lice...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Cherry Creek is a tough lake to fish to be sure. But I actually am having better fishing there than I have in several years. Its not spectacular but at least now i feel I have a chance to catch something when I go there.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
fishingkats said:
what kinda bait or lures do you use at cc
I have been using rattle-traps, small and large sizes. The colors I have done best with are chrome/blue and a little yellow/teal one. The more natural designs don't seem to do as well. I also found that trolling between 1.5 and 2.5 mph seems to give the most number of hits.

Dan

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
have you ever tryed to put flys down when your trolling
there are some deer hair ones that look just like bait fish

they weigh next to nothing so they look reel in the water

and they come in all sizes and i havent heard of any people even trying this so though i would just make a suggestion it couldnt hurt right

·
Banned
487 Posts
It's pretty obvious this place has a ridiculous overabundance of forage.
I think two fish species would really help. One is northern pike. They will be numerous enough and in fact used to occur in Cherry Creek in greater numbers. But now very few if any are in there. Could the lack of pike be allowing the shad to explode. It's a theory at least.
Plenty of pike would really help control the shad and fairly fast.
Prolific predators are the key. I also think that white bass would really help too because they are prolific and their habits mirror shad.
Stocking both of these predators would really aid the fishing. I'm not saying to just throw these species in, I'm saying it should be studied and studied by anglers as well, because the biologists often don't know what they are doing. All the "science" these biologists "use" is no match for the experience of an avid angler. So both anglers and biologists should look into this. Educate yourself.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fishingkats said:
deer hair ones that look just like bait fish

I think this is the prob w/ CC. I think one would need to think 'outside the box'. There are so many bait fish in there that there is no challenge for the fish to feed. All i know is this place is tough and im not sure I want to give up just yet. I guess time will tell.

-Jay

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
I used to think the same thing about 11-mile.Oftentimes it was skunk after skunk,but once in a while either me or a pal would catch some nice ones and I'd just have to go back.Took several years,but now I go there knowing in my heart that I will slay 'em every time!CC is the same-except I'm still trying to figure it out! Just gotta keep trying,and try different lures and different methods.If ya pay yer dues,it will happen!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I have wasted countless hours there night fishing :mad: But still I go ???

I have actually caught a couple of walleye's this spring for a change there! There are tons of big walleye in there! Catching them is another thing?

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
We used to hammer all kinds of wallys and perch thriugh the ice.The last 4 years I've caught like a handful of decent perch in about 20 trys. But still I go too!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
not being a local up there i assume live shad are not allowed for bait?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
ALOT of the bigger fish were hammered 3 or 4 weeks ago. I talked to many people the week I was there. A few guys were quite proud as to how full there freezers were.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I may still give it a try tomorrow but am not sure about the heat. I cant stand the heat so im not sure If I want to suck it up and try or say screw it.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Jay-get out there at 4 am,by the time you get the boat launched you'll be able to see.Fish till it gets too hot,maybe 11 or noon,7 or 8 hours is a pretty good day! Unless of course the big skunk bites you then you will curse me for losing sleep for nuttin!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts