Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Batman gave me a great gift for Christmas...He had a few custom rods built by Koldcut....I am now the proud owner of a Tim Tebow Signature Series Rod... ;D A nice 40 incher with spiral guides and a split grip built on a Thorne Brothers blank..paired it up with my new Citica 201E...Can't wait to try it out...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I'm speechless........

There just has to be a joke in here somewhere, but I can't find it. :D

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I'm sure it will be a great stick! I've heard good things about those Thorne Bros. blanks.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
hummus cannonball said:
I knew you had a man-crush on Timmy, Dave.....but I didn't think you would want to hold his rod! ;D
I knew there was a joke in there somewhere. :D

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
hobiecat said:
hummus cannonball said:
I knew you had a man-crush on Timmy, Dave.....but I didn't think you would want to hold his rod! ;D
Whatever it takes to win us a superbowl....
Then he should have made you a Kyle Orton Signature Series Rod.......

C

·
0 Posts
you will love it Dave! Andrew makes some killer rods! He made my laker and pike ice rods last year and I love em!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Willowbasher said:
Hey Hobie, are the guides in alignment? Looks a little funky in the picture.
In alignment...yes, but not the traditional alignment for the following reasons....

"Spiral guide placement is physically the best guide placement for casting rods to minimize stress to the line and rod blank and to maximize sensitivity.

It eliminates twisting of the rod under load because the guides are on the underside of the blank.

It eliminates side-to-side stress on the guides that occurs with traditional casting rod guide placement..

It can allow fewer, smaller, and lower frame guides in the tip section. This results in greater sensitivity and a crisp feel."

It's my first spiral wrapped rod...we'll see how it performs...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Bwahaahahahahahaaa...it casts wild and high but can run after lakers and takes too long to unfold on casts causing frequent birds nests!...

bwhaahahhahahahhaaaa...great rod Hobie!...even if the blue and orange makes me nauseous...

·
Registered
150 Posts
It can allow fewer, smaller, and lower frame guides in the tip section. This results in greater sensitivity and a crisp feel." It's my first spiral wrapped rod...we'll see how it performs
I'd be interested in knowing how it works out. Will it work you think with any reel? or only baitcasters?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yep! Nice rod Hobie. I saw a swimbait rod KK did for another member on here, that guy does nice work. I hope it works out for you and if not, you can trade it away after next season! ;) At least it's not a Cutler series rod, then it would pretend it got a hit, but turn out to be nothing... ;D

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Doesnt that mess with the natural bend/grain of the rod, when you have a fish on? Which could cause the rod to crack?

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
andyrm66 said:
Doesnt that mess with the natural bend/grain of the rod, when you have a fish on? Which could cause the rod to crack?
Quite the opposite really, with the guides on top, the load is going down and the guides want to fold under the blank, causing blank twisting under load, this way, the guides are pulling rod downward with no twisting. The transition or any of the other guides has has nearly the load that the tip does, the other guides are just that, guides to keep the line near the rod. If you handled one of my spiral wrapped baitcasters you would notice no difference in casting, and no twisting while fighting a fish. But there are naysayers who don't believe or will always stick with the traditional way, which is no big deal. Those thorne blanks are nice, I am going to see if the 48" blank comes uncut, and if it does, I'm going to extend it into a short open water jigging rod, they are nice!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts