Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing Spinney last week and as usual the wind picked up. My anchor was dragging me all over the lake and I couldn't seem to catch on anything. I have a pretty large 11' pontoon and every time I brought up my 11 lb anchor it was loaded with weeds. I was wondering what anchors people have success with in situations w/quite a few weeds and high winds? It was also a pain in the rear to handpull the anchor and about 30 lbs of weeds up each time!

Sportsmans have several types and weights: Mushroom, fluke, and river grapple. I've been considering the river grapple. It is a little heavier (18 lbs) but not sure if the arms are long enough to dig past all the weeds?

I guess another alternative is to be ready w/2 anchors? Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I would think an 11 lb anchor is on the light side for a pontoon boat but the !st thing to do is add a section of chain to your anchor and use 3 to 1 scope if that doesn't work then get a bigger plow type anchor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am still fairly new to pontoon boats but on mine I use a 5-lb Folding Grapnel Anchor. Once that is set it holds me in place. I mainly fish N. Catamont and it works there I have tried it at 11 mile in the wind and it worked there also. The weeds can still be a PITA when pulling it up, but I thats just the nature of being anchored. I thought about getting a second anchor but I have found that when I need to anchor I figure out the angle of the wind to the postion I want to fish and then anchor. It really make using the fins to keep postion easier. Here is a pic of mine

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would suggest the fluke style anchor. I bought one from bass pro shop called "Cheyne anchor". I think thats the name. Anyways its a fluke style and holds my 18 footer nicely. They come in several sizes

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Helps to have a length of chain between the rope and the anchor. Maybe 5 feet. The idea is that the chain lays on the bottom and takes up slack as the waves rise and fall without tugging your anchor loose. :)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
albow said:
Helps to have a length of chain between the rope and the anchor. Maybe 5 feet. The idea is that the chain lays on the bottom and takes up slack as the waves rise and fall without tugging your anchor loose. :)
more chain the better for holding bottom, I have 100' of chain and a 33lb anchor on my alaska boat but up there I'm holding in up to 22' tides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts