Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the morning in my kayak at the bigger gap, caught a few nothing to write home about. Boat ramp is in, lake opens to boaters April 1st. CPW has gill nets in the water to remove all female walleyes. Park ranger said that they've already removed 6 fish over 30", one 35" with a 19.5" girth (17.6lbs) and a mess of mid 20" fish :mad: Gill nets will be in the water all this week, so much for having a decent eyeball lake on the westslope. I'm so glad they spent a quarter millon dollars on a pointless fish screen.... I asked him how many people he's seen keeping smallmouth and he said between 3 groups yesterday he counted 16 smallmouth (8-17 inches) on stringers. Park ranger seemed genuinely upset about whats going on at the lake. He said that himself and a few other employees voiced their opinon at a "employee only" meeting and he actually walked out when he was asked to encourage people to keep every smallmouth. Its really unfortunate what they are doing to that lake.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So they're removing all the eyes and smallmouth?
From what he said, they are trying to thin out the SMB and the only walleye they are going to allow are the Triploid Walleye (Sterile) that they stocked last year. He said that he has seen the stocking plan for the lake and its only rainbows for the next 5 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far as female walleye and smallmouth bass, I can confirm WestSloper's post.

In addition, they are removing all the northern pike they catch.

I do not have any info on the stocking plan.

·
Registered
936 Posts
This sounds absurd... What ultimate goal does the CPW have for this lake? It sounds very confused. What are they trying to achieve.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Apparently they are trying to piss everybody off-and doing a darn fine job of it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Its really unfortunate what they are doing to that lake.
Unfortunate is relative my friend. Reengineering the biological makeup of any body of water takes time and only time will tell if the right decisions were made..... if the ultimate goal is to turn it into a stocker haven than so be it..... a prized catch is in the eye of the beholder and enjoying what you have is most important..... chasing that bass or eye elsewhere is going to make it that much more rewarding to hook one but realize it must suck to have something like this happen to a local body of water that you love. I imagine those who are most upset recognize there's nothing the average joe can do about it and/or know something the state doesn't. I'd say take your limit and try to enjoy that piece of water that was once an awesome place to fish.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Your post doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
From what he said, they are trying to thin out the SMB and the only walleye they are going to allow are the Triploid Walleye (Sterile) that they stocked last year. He said that he has seen the stocking plan for the lake and its only rainbows for the next 5 years.
as Colorado mackinaw and fordo lamented.... Gotta embrace the slimer!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Unfortunate is relative my friend. Reengineering the biological makeup of any body of water takes time and only time will tell if the right decisions were made..... if the ultimate goal is to turn it into a stocker haven than so be it..... a prized catch is in the eye of the beholder and enjoying what you have is most important..... chasing that bass or eye elsewhere is going to make it that much more rewarding to hook one but realize it must suck to have something like this happen to a local body of water that you love. I imagine those who are most upset recognize there's nothing the average joe can do about it and/or know something the state doesn't. I'd say take your limit and try to enjoy that piece of water that was once an awesome place to fish.
if it isn't broke, why fix it Colo-Mack?

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Sounds like this kinda stuff is what encourages bucket biologists to take matters into their own hands.
This.

I wouldn't be surprised if lake Dillon is already plagued/benefitting from this.... I bet those char make for good forage for pike and lakers! Lolol.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
This.

I wouldn't be surprised if lake Dillon is already plagued/benefitting from this.... I bet those char make for good forage for pike and lakers! Lolol.
I ain't gonna lie, I've seen evidence of pike in Dillon. Never caught one or seen one but have had some pretty convincing occurances.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Pike would have a hard time taking advantage of the Char big Goonie, the masses of them stay deep, below 40'. Below is what my graph looks like before these monsters come through. 10 feet thick school of char.This is not to say that pike wont go that deep, the 42 incher I caught last summer ran me out to 41 feet of water. But that wasnt his comfort zone, it was a place to run for his life.
But browns however love Arctic Char and have no problem living full time that deep.. Below is not a super old fish like the rest of the 24 to 30 inch browns i have caught in Dillon . Look at the tail and fins, relatively small for a fish of this magnitude i didn't weigh this fish but if it wasn't 10 pounds it was dam close. He has been eating high calorie Arctic char. Below is what my graph looks like before these monsters come through. 10 feet thick school of char. There will always big browns in the area when i find this many char.
But enough about Dillon, this thread is about the Gap and the unnecessary culling of smallies and walleye.

·
Registered
358 Posts
if it isn't broke, why fix it Colo-Mack?
Sustaining populations of any fish I reckon isn't all that easy and/or an exact science...... each body of water is unique enough that what worked over there might not work everywhere. Repercussions are inevitable when toying with the constructs of nature and thus why you see the cpw trying to explain bonehead moves. Like I stated earlier time will tell if we made the right choice..... it was never broken but the powers that be wanted something different and to make that possible it sounds like the bass and eyes took the hit. The trout is what Colorado wants to produce an abundance of while at the same time recommends that if you like catching bass you hit up some of the premier fisheries down in Alabama :pound:Maybe a few bass on our west slope will avoid being caught and one day help their species flourish once again.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I firmly believe those lakes will be seeing those species of fish... Regardless if ewert wants them in there or not.

.. If they aren't in there already. Dallas is right in that essence that for right or wrong... fishermen usually take matters into their own hands if displeased with something. It's why the gap situation here is stupid because people will just bucket stock more fish.

And I'm not condoning bucket biology at all... Although let's be real and I said it tons of times, with the forage and habitat.... Dillon would be a trophy pike and mackinaw lake....

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Sustaining populations of any fish I reckon isn't all that easy and/or an exact science...... each body of water is unique enough that what worked over there might not work everywhere. Repercussions are inevitable when toying with the constructs of nature and thus why you see the cpw trying to explain bonehead moves. Like I stated earlier time will tell if we made the right choice..... it was never broken but the powers that be wanted something different and to make that possible it sounds like the bass and eyes took the hit. The trout is what Colorado wants to produce an abundance of while at the same time recommends that if you like catching bass you hit up some of the premier fisheries down in Alabama :pound:Maybe a few bass on our west slope will avoid being caught and one day help their species flourish once again.

Unfortunately a lot of Coloradans don't want to catch just slimers, because the lot of us feel that we shouldn't have to travel out of state to catch fun species of fish....so.....

Why should we go to the south to catch bass when we got lakes that can potentially grow big bass here?

Why should we go to the upper Midwest to chase walleyes and pike... When we have the habitat and lakes here that prove repeatedly that we can grow trophy sized fish?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Westsloper, have you spoke with the fisheries manager and not just the forest service and boat ramp guys? The pike minnow, razorback sucker, and humpback chub downstream from the Gap may be the problem. After your first post I assumed that it was all about the EFRA. I would ask and find out if this was basically mandated by the feds. If so there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it. If its just the fisheries manager being a ding dong than you might try a petition, put them in every tackle shop in the area and figure out how to one that can accept a electronic signature so all of us on the forums can sign it.
I am planning on doing it to advocate a slot for lakers at GM, Willies, and Granby, and a slot for Browns in Dillon.
Are there any tech guys on her that can develop a file that is a electronic petition that we can get hundreds of signatures on? If someone can make one I am willing to compensate for the time and skills. with money, or trade for trophy brown or trophy laker trip.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts