Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy from Texas.  :-[ Anyway, He and his friends would convince each other to fish by saying "the cows are standing". I guess barometric pressure effects all animals. So thereoreticly (sp?), if the cows were active, even in the heat. The fish should be to. Me and my buddies use this now as a joke (we don't need any convincing to fish  ;D). We substitute Elk for cows.  :)
Anyway, it really seems to be true. Tuesday, when I left work there were a bunch of Elk lying down. One of my buddies joked that I wouldn't catch anything. Sure enough I fished a spot (for 45 minutes) I never get skunked at, and sure enough. The skunk bit me. Wed., driving down to hockey, we saw lots of wildlife activity. I fished for maybe a half hour. At a place I've been skunked (for Bass anyway) the last 4 times I've went. Caught 2 nice ones!
I've made this post longer than it should have been. Sorry  :-[
My point is... If barometric pressure effects fish/wildlife acctivity, than wildlife acctivity could be a sign of how good the fishing might be?
I guess the wind could be from the east, every animal I pass on the way could be sound asleep, and there could be a bad moon on the rising, I'd still fish.  Just thought this was interesting. ;D 

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I always tell my son that if the cows are grazing then the fish are biting ;). Come to think of it, I can't remember where I first heard this ???, but my guess is that my grandparents told me the same thing when I was little...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha All I pictured was 2 rednecks one chewying and as he spits going well Jim them cows is a standin, we has to go fishin.

I think thats the same as the moon phases and stuff you never really pay much attention to it but if you get skunked and it consides with the moon phase or the cows or the elk you blame it on that.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If the cows are standing in your fishin' hole... pass it up.
If the cows are lying down in your fishin' hole... pass it up as well.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if the cow is dead and bloated in you fishing hole fish for cats!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts