Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a good Combo. I want it to be able to throw as many diff. sizes of baits as possible.. For really light baits I can use my Spinning setup. I also have right around $200 to spend. I am willing to buy used if a good deal is around :) I prefer to reel with my left hand.

I relize by reading through a few bass books that every different lure setup/presentation requires a different rod/reel/line combination.

Well I dont have the $$ to buy 5-10 combos!! LOL I wish!! So i have to settle on 1 Combo to start off with.. The baitcaster combo and my spinning combo(That i already have) will probably have to get my by this whole season for all the lures i use.. Besides catfishing of course.. i have a seperate setup for that. :)

I saw on Eyehunters thread that multiple people suggest the Shimano Citica as a great reel for "1/4 oz. to 3/4 oz. swimbaits and jerkbaits"

Would it also make for a descent all around reel? When Bass fishing my favorite bait is a spinnerbait, but i plan to start trying as many new techniques as i can get lures :) (Jerkbaits, Crankbaits, Swimbaits, PigN'Jigs, ect)

Last year I got into using plastics ALOT more.. mostly weightless or very light weight... Should I continue to use my spin setup to throw these small weightless lures??

As for a rod.... Same thing... Need it to match up well with the baitcaster and be a descent all around rod. The rod i had been currently using was an Ugly Stick LOL.. I actually liked it a lot.. but i havnt had a chance to own a high quality rod before.. Hell i use to think a Combo from walmart was awesome before i got my 1st pfleuger reel LMAO.

Anyway that rods eyes somehow got all chipped up and sarted freying my line BAD!! so bad i just called it a day early and went home :( Because it was the only rod I brought with me.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Cabela's still has a lot of its higher quality rods on sale. I think the Fish Eagle II rods on sale for $49.99 (reg $79.99) are a great value. Length and action are largely personal preference.

As for reels, there are lots of quality reels in that $120-$150 range, including the Citica. Good used Shimano Curados can be picked up on eBay for less than $100. But be careful as there are some junkers out ther, too. Some guy tried to pass a junker off on me this winter, but he and eBay promptly made it right.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Yeah, it would be great. I would limit the weight on a 200 size Citica to 1.5oz, and I would only go that high for flipping and punching, which unless you plan a trip out of state should not be a factor anyway!

SS

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I would recommend a 6'6" medium fast, medium power. The "extra-average" model if you will.

"Not too long, not too short, not too heavy, not too light, not too fast, not too slow." The Goldilocks edition.

Moderate speed, 6' 6", 10-20lb, lifetime warranty. Plenty of rods fit that bill, find one that you like the feel and looks of, and yer good to go.

Added bonus is that is a GREAT spinnerbait rod when you decide to add a flipping stick and a crank stick to the arsenal.

Cheers!

SS

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deuceu72 said:
Wright/Mcgill Victory reels and micro guide rods........complete set up less than 200.00. ;D
Any links for examlpes so i can see what your talking about. I found a site for Wright/Mcgill but seemed like all fly fishing stuff?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
RVinson said:
Deuceu72 said:
Wright/Mcgill Victory reels and micro guide rods........complete set up less than 200.00. ;D
Any links for examlpes so i can see what your talking about. I found a site for Wright/Mcgill but seemed like all fly fishing stuff?
Rods
http://www.wright-mcgill.com/rods/skeet-reese-micro-honeycomb.php

Reels

http://www.wright-mcgill.com/reels/skeet-reese-victory-reels.php

Rods are $ 85.00 or so and reels are about the same. I think Bass pro has em, tackle warehouse, or I would call Don Speas at Falcon Tackle personally.........PM me if you need his number.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
As for what to get..........It's tough to use the same rod for plastics as it is using spinnerbaits, crankbaits etc........plastics require stiff rods to drive the hook through the plastic and the bass mouth but a crankin stick or throwing spinnerbaits require a "softer" tip as to not jerk the lure outta there mouth. A 7 ft or so rod medium to medium heavy and 6.3 to 1 gear ratio reel is a good all around combo for the most part.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If your up in the metro area, I got a loomis 852 mossyback and right hand citica (silver model) that you can play around with. Dont care for plastics, but the mossyback series is made for t-rigs and jigs. The GLX versions just makes you feel it that much better. If you want to try out the tier of my set up, feel free to as well (caution love will be beaten out of suitors). Just PM me, not gonna be fishing, still collecting goodies and organizing.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
You know I have all that stuff bro. Any time you want to check out a combo come over and we can cast it in the park. I use fish eagle II's as don suggested, I also reccomend shimano reels. citica I think would be a good choice if you plan on throwing heavier stuff, and I would go with a med casting rod as they are typically heavier with a faster action. So a med casting rod would be good for cranks and lighter stuff, but not for heavy 2oz swim baits and such. For that I would go with a heavy. One thing is for sure.....the last thing you want to do is get a cheap baitcasting reel!

That mag touch you have is an awesome all around rod, just needs a baitcasting reel.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Rod-Reel-Combos/Casting-Combos|/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/104822280/Shimano174-Citica174-CI200E-ReelCabelas-Fish-Eagle174-II-Rod-Casting-Combo/704381.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/fishing-rod-reel-combos-casting-combos/_/N-1102354/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104822280?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104762880&WTz_l=SBC;cat104793480;cat104762880;cat104822280

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Rod-Reel-Combos/Casting-Combos|/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/104822280/Shimano174-Caenan174Cabelas-Fish-Eagle174-II-Casting-Combo/847277.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/fishing-rod-reel-combos-casting-combos/_/N-1102354/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104822280?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104762880&WTz_l=SBC;cat104793480;cat104762880;cat104822280

Actually once I started looking, just go to cabela's website go to casting combos, there are sooooooo many to choose from right at and even well below your price range.

oh yeah quite a few of them have lefty's too! :)

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info and suggestions everyone!!

I ended up ordering the Citica off ebay :) $92 shipped

And then picked up a rod from Bass pro to go with it.. I checked out a ton of different rods and ended up liking the feel of the Quantum KVD Signature rod:

[b]Quantum® Kevin VanDam Signature Series Trigge Rods[/b]

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/198027_1724672690046_1635256628_1608827_4746557_n.jpg

...* Lightweight HSX62 high-modulus graphite blanks

* Genuine Fuji® ACS† reel seats

* Premium Concept-spaced Pacific Bay® guides with Hialoy inserts

* Lightweight, durable EVA foam split-grip handles

Use the same actions Kevin uses to dominate the Bassmaster Elite Series! Premium componentry includes lightweight HSX62 high-modulus graphite blanks; genuine Fuji® ACS† reel seats; premium Concept-spaced Pacific Bay® guides with Hialoy inserts; and lightweight, durable EVA foam split-grip handles.

Cant wait to get the Reel in the mail so i can throw it on my new rod and put in some work!! :)

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts