Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
The yampa... Hope you are that filthy pike minnow or tossed it at the kill crew when it was dead

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's a creek chub. Very common. Did it fight hard for 5 seconds and then roll over and play dead? That's what they usually do.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Looks like pike minnow to me, hope you gently released it on the bank :cool:

·
Registered
633 Posts
you can get paid top dollar for killing and turning those in up on the Columbia River in Washington State. There's a bounty for those smolt eating vermin up there! Here we protect them to the hilt-too funny.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
72 Posts
The main reason I thought it was a chub is because of the orange coloration which is exactly the same as the chubs on the Colorado river around New Castle to Rifle. I caught one way up near Grizzly Creek a few years ago that was about 18" long and since I had never seen one that big, I figured it must have been something else. I contacted Kendall Bachik (sp?) who was the fish biologist in the region at the time and confirmed it was a normal old CC. If you go to the CPW website you can email one of the biologists and they will tell you what it is. Where was it caught anyway? We regularly catch them from 10"-15" on the Colorado. The bigger they get the more orange they get. I'm still sticking with my guess but that is all it is. Do you have any photos of the entire fish, especially the tail? If you get an answer from the biologist, I'd be interested to know what they say. Also, I've never caught a chub on a lure or streamer so maybe this is something else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have never posted before and can't say that I will make a habit of it because it seems like everyone here has there head stuck up their rear end when it comes to native fish. Anyway, that is a roundtail chub (Gila robusta)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, it was years ago. Maybe that is what the biologist said. I agree, def. not a creek chub. Maybe she said common or roundtail. I don't have the email anymore or I would have included it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts