Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over to spratt today around 730 and the morning was REALLY slow.Then i started to walk the east side adn saw at least 30 fish all over 14+inches.I wanted a fish before i left so i was casting like crazy.BOOM got a nice one probably 3lbs and thick not to long and two casts later i got a real long one.Both had problems the first fish had a big part off his upper lip missing the second had at least 15 little leeches inside of his mouth.All in all i had a GREAT day.I'm heading back down there tomorrow.

F

·
0 Posts
early in the year all the fish at spratt have those little leeches ...i noticed that last year it doesnt seem to to bother the fish though the bass population is huge at spratt.....maybe they should take some small ones out so we could get some bigger fish in there

·
Registered
943 Posts
dunbar what were you using? i have sen alot there but have never caught one

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been using a zoom baby brush hog in any color just depends.I went back the other day and got nothing but LOTS of hits off of topwater.My dad got a nice one around 16inches.God i love that place.

B

·
0 Posts
I have fished the hell out of that place and never caught a danm thing. I've see lots of big bass, seen people catch them, but I"ve never had any luck there. I've tried everything in the tackle box.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dunbar, I also went to Spratt last night and caught a bass (~16-17 inches) that was missing part of its upper lip. Any chance that it could be the same bass, or could it be something that is happening to the bass population in general? Very interesting.

Anyways, I caught three bass--one 17.5 incher and two others that I estimate were each 16 or 17 inches. I caught all three bass within about 20 minutes of each other, between about 7:30-8 p.m. All three bass came on a Cinnamon/Purple Flake Wave Worm. I also tried a Pop-R for about 30 minutes but couldn't get a bite.

Has anyone had any luck at the South Platte Fishing Lakes, right across from Spratt, off of 104th?

B

·
0 Posts
Have those ponds been opened to fishing yet? A buddy of mine drove by there the other day and the gates where closed

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bass4Life said:
I have fished the hell out of that place and never caught a danm thing. I've see lots of big bass, seen people catch them, but I"ve never had any luck there. I've tried everything in the tackle box.
I've only got skunked there twice out of like 20 or 30 times maybe we could meet up there and i could get u a couple.lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bass4Life said:
Have those ponds been opened to fishing yet? A buddy of mine drove by there the other day and the gates where closed
They're open, but the "Grand Opening" (when parking lots will open, fishing docks will be added, etc.) isn't untill this spring, according to a Adams County parks person I emailed. But for now you can park on the side of the road and walk-in. PLEASE take care of this place and advise everyone you go there with to do the same. The place opened just recently, and there is already trash everywhere. Also, don't forget and don't let other people forget that the back pond is catch-and-release and artificial flies and lures only (though it would sure be nice if people released bass on all three ponds. Only in a perfect world, I guess).

F

·
0 Posts
docks and parking lots are going to ruin these lakes .......The more %$#in bums that go in there to more trash i see ......I wish the people that did know about these lakes would keep quiet about them . But im sure some @$$hole is gonna write an article in the paper and the weekend crowd is gonna come and ruin them .....i remeber when the arsenal wasnt a zoo....i remeber when lowwel ponds was a good place to fish .....man i love outdoor reporters. ......

·
Registered
943 Posts
they are probably already fished out :mad:

·
Registered
943 Posts
on 104th between riverdale rd and the river

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I always said that the next time I get to Spratt, I would bring a large trash bag. If everyone would do the same here and there, it would help.

By the way Dunbar, how do you get around so much when you are only 15? I thought you lived in lakewood and got around on a bike, and I see you report on lakes all over the metro area. Spratt is far for me in my car so I have only made it out once from south Denver, and you have been there 20 times on your bike? You should be setting yourself up as the next Lance Armstrong with all the mileage you log!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I WISH!!!Na my mom loves taking/watching me catch fish as much as i do.So she takes me all over the place.But i do log quite a lot of miles on my bike i've gone all the way down to ward once and then prospect a couple times but it's supper far

1 - 16 of 16 Posts