Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I headed back up today. He landed a 13 incher and I landed a couple too. Also landed these two guys (about 16 inces each!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
nice! what section of the fork is that? I'm going to be fishing rifle gap for pike tomorrow and if it is slow I'm gonna hit some trout up if the water is clear in any streams. Seems to be clear in the upper fork. Is bait allowed in that section?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you see this in time - I was pretty tired last night and fell asleep on the couch. It's the upper woody Creek Canyon area, about half a mile below Aspen.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is one of the more remote stretches of the Roaring Fork for fly fishermen.
Thankfully it is fly fishing only, catch and release.
The river is in a canyon, and it is away from the road, walk in only.
It gets fished pretty hard, but holds some big, beautiful rainbows.
Only downside is the runway approach to Aspen Airport is right over the river.
If you hear a plane coming, DUCK! ;)

Thumper

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thumper - you're right about those planes! They're pretty low by the time they come over you. But the fishing is so good and that stretch of the river is SO beautiful - I can live it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
onefishinfool,
  Did you notice on your way up if the lower stretches of the Fork are getting dirty? The stretch between Carbondale and Glenwood? I'm thinking about hitting it Tuesday but don't want to be surprised with mud. :-\

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TaylinLoop said:
onefishinfool,
Did you notice on your way up if the lower stretches of the Fork are getting dirty? The stretch between Carbondale and Glenwood? I'm thinking about hitting it Tuesday but don't want to be surprised with mud. :-\
Sorry - by the time I was where I could get a good look - I was up a ways farther. I was driving and I was trying to see it, but it was tough! I'd say try calling Roaring Fork Anglers in Glenwood or Alpine Angling in Carbondale. I've done buisness with both places and they're pretty good people.

Roaring Fork Anglers - (970) 945-0180

Alpine Angling - (970) 963-9245

1 - 8 of 8 Posts