Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a good Saturday out fishing with the kids, my buddy Brian and we met up with Bobys at a little fishing hole.

Got there around 9am, it was a bit overcast and cooler than I expected. Luckily Bobys had an extra sweatshirt in his fishing mobile!

Bobys started us off with a LMB caught on a his "Lucky" squarebill crankbait, I believe it was a blue gill pattern. The LMB had a bad eye, looked like he took a hook to the eyeball from a previous angler.

Unfortunately the "Lucky" lure caught a snag and he lost it a little while later.

I started off with a Rapala X-rap slashbait (modified jerkbait) but am inexperienced with the jerkbait and honestly had no idea how to tell if I was getting a bite since I was fishing it with slack in the line. I switched to a shaky head and a green pumpkin worm. Worked the heavy weedlines and the few spots with submerged branches/trees. Still nothing.

Transitioned to a weightless Texas rig using a Gamakatsu weedless wacky hook and a Zoom black/blue ribbontail worm. I continued to work the heavy cover and found a large log with 2-3 feet of water under it. Finessed the worm along the log and BAM! Convinced a LMB it was an easy meal.

Here's the picture.

IMG_20160312_114217.jpg

After trying to see if the LMB had a brother under the log I ended up getting snagged and losing my rig. I tied on a Johnson Silver Minnow Weedless Spoon and worked the rest of the shoreline. I really like the action in the water and it truly was weedless. Didn't hit a single snag.

After three hours the kids were ready to go. As promised I took them to the skatepark to ride around for a bit.

After lunch we met back up with Brian at another spot.

Brian was doing well with the perch and LMB using some split shot and a nightcrawler on the bottom.

IMG_20160312_144232.jpg

My daughter Bella fished for a bit but kept getting hung up on the bottom.

Brian was kind enough to let her reel in one of his.

Picture and video is below.

IMG_20160312_151533.jpg

Another great weekend!

·
Registered
71 Posts
great report! love seeing the kids getting into it, my 10yo daughter likes fishing more than my 15yo son. :Bummer: great pics and vid...thanks for sharing!

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
Awesome Dallas, THX for sharing!!!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Great job dad and offspring!

Photos should be big and expressive and not in scourge of the earth "dumbnail" form...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bobys, I couldn't remember exactly what color pattern you had!

PD, Dr, Pikester and Z thanks gents!

Z, I need to get on an image hosting site to make the pictures larger. I don't think I'm able to resize them by attaching them in the forum, but thanks for the assist.

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
check out photobucket.com, easy to use and free!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
I hate dumbnails...I think Hillary invented them!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks gents! Hoping to get the canoe setup this weekend so we can get out on the water. I think they'll have more fun fishing when we are mobile and they can use their ice fishing skills to vertical jig some fishies!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Good job, Dad and Daughter! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice going DDB and kid!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm the guy with Dallas' girl in the video, thought this would be a good time to jump in and say hi. Bobys it was great to meet you on Saturday.

Slayer I'm curious if you have the right log. Been there 3 times in two weeks and caught bass and perch each visit. Not pretty but few other people and real close to home.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm the guy with Dallas' girl in the video, thought this would be a good time to jump in and say hi. Bobys it was great to meet you on Saturday.

Slayer I'm curious if you have the right log. Been there 3 times in two weeks and caught bass and perch each visit. Not pretty but few other people and real close to home.
Lol pretty sure slayers just messing around, but at the same time don't put it past guys around here to determine a location by something much less than a log in a pic :)

·
Registered
16,616 Posts

Dude I was there yesterday from 1130-3pm. 3 bass is all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts