Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay does any one know what type of fly might work in a lake this time of year. The water is freezing and egg patterns are not in yet I've tried hares ears all colors san juans shrimp patterns pheasant tails woolly buggers and even dry's. I'm thinking that maby the fish want bait and I realy dont want to bait fish..... Let me know if you have any suggestions O0 >:D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Depends on the lake really... Heres what I would try - scuds, mysis shrimp, leech patterns, muddler minnows, clouser minnows.

But you will have to fish everything pretty slow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Assuming you're going after trout . . .scuds and midges. Hang 'em under an indicator and fish over and around weeds. Start small, maybe a #16 olive or amber scud with a #18-20 chronomid/midge trailer.

TP

·
Registered
935 Posts
I concur with troutpocket. I have done well with really small 18-20 hares ears, and other fairly small midge nymph patterns at this time of year. Copper johns have worked, too. I fish along the edgs of ice shelves in rivers, when it's really cold, and it works well for me. When the waters open, same types of patterns work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts