Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
They need to lobby to have the CPW included in the general fund. From what I understand they get very little if any funding from the state budget. The CPW budget is comprised of the funds from the lottery, revenue from licenses and revenue from the parks.

CPW should get some of the taxes from the marijuana industry considering people buy weed then go to the parks and smoke it!!!

Here is a thread with budget information for CPW: http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/3-colorado-fishing/139153-colorado-parks-wildlife-financial-report-fy-14-15-2016-eight-year-forecast.html

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
there is an idea floating around about a way of funding CPW that I think would do the job. that is passing a tire tax in Co of $1.00 per tire. if you have 4 tires on your car or truck it would cost you $4.00 per year. most people in Co have at least 8 tires some have 14 to 20 tires, at that kind of income for the CPW they could cut a lot of fees to be more affordable. they need to find a way before we cant afford to hunt, fish, or camo.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Why are we thinking of new ways to tax people? This is not a money problem its a how we choose to deal with it problem. Most every lake I fish in TX has zebra mussels and the water intakes are good and the fishing is as good as ever and you can launch a boat whenever you want anywhere you want.

This is a manufactured problem, thats all it ever was. I can't believe how many people fall for this nonsense.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Ed,
Are you saying the zebra mussel fear is propaganda?

Does it harm the fisheries or the man made water systems and structure?

If it is mainly the latter, I can understand why they would want you to believe the zebra mussel is such a problem. Water rights are a BIG deal and BIG money.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Glad I'm no longer stuck in Co as a boat owner. Oklahoma is like Texas - pay your launch fee and you're free to launch as you please day or night year round. I haven't seen the clean, drain and dry message anywhere here. A different world down here. Colorado will continue to fee the outdoorsman to death while reducing access. Before you bash me, know this - I'm a Colorado native. I've watched this happen for a long time. I truly feel sorry for boaters in Colorado and hope cpw figures out a way to keep the gates open. I remember launching until ice up at the mile and many other privliges that no longer exist.

·
Registered
513 Posts
They need to lobby to have the CPW included in the general fund. From what I understand they get very little if any funding from the state budget. The CPW budget is comprised of the funds from the lottery, revenue from licenses and revenue from the parks.
This would be a terrible idea to get the CPW included in the general fund. Can you imagine the disaster that would likely occur if the legislators had a significant say in how the CPW managed its resources. Think a few years back on the bear hunting fiasco that came out of the popular vote. I can just see it now the urban Boulder legislators listening to their constituents attempting to ban all blood sports. Better that the CPW stay an enterprise agency as best it can. I would pay more for my licenses and tags, I already feel they are a bargain based on the number of days I get to enjoy these privileges.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Its really interesting to see the way different states have reacted to and dealt with the invasive species problem. In TX many river systems have a chain of lakes along their course-sometimes 3-4 or more. So when you get zebra mussels in an upstream lake its only a matter of time until downstream lakes have them as well. In most TX lakes I have fished they have a sign outside most marinas and boat ramps telling people its important to drain and dry their boat after being on the water. Thats it, thats their response to the problem.

They generally increase water clarity which encourages weed growth and the fishing actually improves on many bodies of water.

All I'm saying is this sky if falling reaction by the CPW is not justified. We've created another layer of bureaucracy and all the problems that brings.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Why are we thinking of new ways to tax people? This is not a money problem its a how we choose to deal with it problem. Most every lake I fish in TX has zebra mussels and the water intakes are good and the fishing is as good as ever and you can launch a boat whenever you want anywhere you want.

This is a manufactured problem, thats all it ever was. I can't believe how many people fall for this nonsense.

I agree.....waiting in line and not launching until 6 am is bullshit.....sometimes the topwater bite is already winding down. I'd like to be fishing by 4.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
there is an idea floating around about a way of funding CPW that I think would do the job. that is passing a tire tax in Co of $1.00 per tire. if you have 4 tires on your car or truck it would cost you $4.00 per year. most people in Co have at least 8 tires some have 14 to 20 tires, at that kind of income for the CPW they could cut a lot of fees to be more affordable. they need to find a way before we cant afford to hunt, fish, or camo.
Ed
this is not a tax on just the sportsman. this is a tax on every car, truck, bus, trailer or eighteen wheeler that is registered in Colo. each year. that would mean a very much bigger budget for the CPW it would take the burden off the sportsman to fund the CPW. I know for a fact that they are right now looking where they can increase their income. the first thing that cane up was to eliminate the free senior license, and increase the license fee for hunting and fishing and eliminate some of their programs that don't pay for themselves. another thought is to put a daily launch fee on every ramp in the parks

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
This would be a terrible idea to get the CPW included in the general fund. Can you imagine the disaster that would likely occur if the legislators had a significant say in how the CPW managed its resources. Think a few years back on the bear hunting fiasco that came out of the popular vote. I can just see it now the urban Boulder legislators listening to their constituents attempting to ban all blood sports. Better that the CPW stay an enterprise agency as best it can. I would pay more for my licenses and tags, I already feel they are a bargain based on the number of days I get to enjoy these privileges.
This.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I stated, I feel that the ANS program is mis-managed in Colorado. That said, I do support doing what is reasonable to keep zebra / quagga mussels out of our waters.

Not sure why someone would think they aren't an issue. They are. They will clog water intake/outlets. They will damage systems in boats. They will stink when the water recedes, and they die and rot. And they will cut your feet if you try walking barefoot on shore.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I'm guilty of overstating my case. But I lived on Lake Texoma for 2 yrs and it was the first lake in TX to get zebra mussels. That was 2009. Never heard anything about clogged water intakes, never heard one person say they had damaged their boat (but many told me the ethanol gas had damaged their gas lines, their gas tanks and their motors.)

As far as stinking when they die and rot what doesn't? And cutting your feet doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Birds can transport them. Not saying they're not a problem but sometimes the solution is worse than the problem-in this case I think it is. When the inspection program is used to curtail or deny access to lakes that you paid for a license to fish, thats a problem.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a photo of pipes as quagga mussels attach.

And here is a photo of a boat outdrive that is stored in quagga infested waters.

There is no way that this will not be a major financial drain. I am a partner on a small houseboat in Powell. We have 4 owners. Within a few years, the infestation there will start to cost me (not our group) over $500/year (cost to launch/retrieve and clean the houseboat).

I can't imagine what it will cost the state/feds (which tax payers pay for) to keep the outtake pipes clean.

And I agree 100% that it sucks that lakes close during prime fishing times. But there are ways to keep them open while at the same time limiting the risk of these mussels being introduced.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Agreed. Something else to worry about are the golden algae blooms some lakes are getting-it is an algae that attaches itself to the gills of the fish and can cause a total (100%) fish kill.

There are several lakes in north TX that I used to fish that are now a dead sea. And to date, there isn't a cure.

You may be right about Powell but you may take heart in this-on some lakes the zebra mussel population explodes when they first get established (their on every rock) and then over time their population peaks and then starts going down. This has been observed on a number of lakes.

I didn't mean to make light of the problem, just think the inspection program, as you said, is not managed well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts