Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As I stated, I feel that the ANS program is mis-managed in Colorado. That said, I do support doing what is reasonable to keep zebra / quagga mussels out of our waters.

Not sure why someone would think they aren't an issue. They are. They will clog water intake/outlets. They will damage systems in boats. They will stink when the water recedes, and they die and rot. And they will cut your feet if you try walking barefoot on shore.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a photo of pipes as quagga mussels attach.

And here is a photo of a boat outdrive that is stored in quagga infested waters.

There is no way that this will not be a major financial drain. I am a partner on a small houseboat in Powell. We have 4 owners. Within a few years, the infestation there will start to cost me (not our group) over $500/year (cost to launch/retrieve and clean the houseboat).

I can't imagine what it will cost the state/feds (which tax payers pay for) to keep the outtake pipes clean.

And I agree 100% that it sucks that lakes close during prime fishing times. But there are ways to keep them open while at the same time limiting the risk of these mussels being introduced.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
CPW should do what corporations have done when they need more manpower and not enough in the budget to hire... INTERNS!!!

A well managed internship program with college students studying biology or something like that... I may be on to something.

Plus it could be touted as a fast track to getting hired as a park ranger or some other position within CPW.
Interesting idea, but I am not sure how practical it is. Pretty easy to hire an intern for a corporation in Denver. Not as easy to hire an intern and require them to move and spend a summer in South Park. Or Sterling. Or North Park. Or Rifle. Or, you get the idea....

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't think interns would do any worse than our current crop of ans inspectors. I have been using my wake boat and not the fishing boat most summer. Only once have they asked for me to empty my ballast tanks. And that time my blower came on before I could turn on my pumps and they said "good to go".

And all lakes I have been to so far this year have been infected with something.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've never heard of anything being done for eradication.

And I have never seen a reliable source suggest that quagga or zebra mussels can be spread by birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.