Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I was on Antero was, shall we say, inglorious. :-[ I was turning into to the South entrance this morning when I got a text: "Are you fishing today? Thinking about going to (Lake X)."

I had demons to put to rest. It was just turning light. There were three rigs in front of me, waiting patiently for the mussel inspection lady. She recognized me right away. "So, you got a bigger boat." "Yeah. The other one is for sale. . ."

It was cold, more that just crisp. I had trouble getting my "new" boat off the trailer again. Glad nobody was around to see that. The water was so cold my feet were burning but I just sloshed in my shoes and was glad that I could feel anything. Last time I was at Antero I was so cold by the time they pulled me out that the Fire and Rescue guys wanted to take me to the hospital. I signed the paperwork refusing their advice, and they warmed me up anyway. I saw a lot of fish moving on the water right away. All around the infamous South ramp, but no bank fishermen to be seen. Go figure. ::)

I trolled. I'd honed my technique over the summer at that be-otch of a lake down the road, 11 Mile. I'd suffered my skunks. But finally she gave up some fish for me. Larry said this was an epic year and I have to agree.

Now, you don't troll at Antero, because of the weeds. Anybody knows that. I was after kokes today, and used my favorite koke trolling lure. No love from the kokes. But I did catch a ton of little stocker bows. The were so bright and healthy that at first I thought they were kokes. But they were just little fat eager bows, and I caught one after another. "If you find the little guys, you'll find the big guys." Well, I found one. I figure he was 24 inches. I got him up to the boat, and he looked and me and I swear he sneered. I had the drag set just right and he made a move and broke my line anyway like it was nothing. Another hit later on had to be Godzilla. You know how you can tell when you've snagged bottom because the reel starts to scream? It screams just as fast as the boat is moving, really gets your heart moving. Well, this one took off like a rocket, twice as fast in the other direction. Plus, I could feel it pulling. Snags don't pull like that. I had five seconds, and then. . . nothing.

And that was it, over by 8am. The mist finally burned off the water and it was clear and warm and glorious. I checked out some weed lines. Call it pre-fishing. Ice is coming. ;)

I went, I fished, I didn't sink. I'm going to miss that mussel inspection lady. You don't get nicer people than that.

I'll see you soon, Antero. Ice is coming. :)

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Nice report...glad you had some luck and got off in one piece!

Had to be weird going back there...

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Good report Alan, have you ever considered another profession.... say journalism? Interesting read.....

I too, will put the baby to bed this weekend, sadly. Looks like crap weather coming in. Will wait for ice season, as usual....
JIMI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts