Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend, Mark, and I hit Antero today in the Green Lake area. Mark caught about 15 fish and I caught about 10. They were all caught on various colors of tubes. My border collie, Jenny, went with me today. She did fine bundled up under my seat but probably won't go again. No monsters today and most were 17 - 19 inches with a few stocker-size in the mix. Starting temp was 4 and ending was 22 (and dropping fast). Steady 20 mph and overcast most of the day with deteriorating weather as the day went on. Ice was 5 - 7 inches thick.

When I came back from taking a photo of Mark with a fish, one of my rod/reel combos was gone. That would be #4 lost to fish at Antero over the past 15 years. I peaked down at the bottom of the lake and spotted it about 10 feet away.

I then drilled over the spot and snagged it with a lure. After bringing it to the surface, I noticed that the fish was still on and I landed it as well. I have only seen this happen one time last year so I made sure to videotape it. At the end of the video, I say, "sucker" in case anyone is confused.

[/URL]

A photo of Jenny on her first and last trip to Antero

[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj79/thefishin6/IMG_0166.jpg

Here are a variety of photos showing some of the fish out of Antero

More photos from a Friday trip to Dillon, a Brookie pond and Antero with two other diabetics, neither of which has ever been ice fishing. For Zyler, this was his first fishing trip of any sort.

Zyler showing off his Kokanee Salmon, his Brook Trout and his big 20 inch Cutbow - An amazing first day

Johnny, Me & Zyler showing some of the day's fish

Johnny with his first fish caught ice fishing

Me with a Brook Trout

Some weird shore ice near the North boat ramp

A nice Bighorn Sheep Ram on 285 on the way home

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Sounds like a great day :) Did better than we did for sure. biggest we got was a 17 3/4". We were also fishing the green lake Area. Were in a Blue Shappell Rover. With 1 guy fishing outside all day.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Loved the video. Brought back memories of '07 when I discovered a missing rod. My friend snagged it and same thing, fish on, and I landed it. Thanks for the memory.

Great report and pics, thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were the two guys in the two single man sleds. We were moving around a lot so you probably heard our drill going throughout the morning. We were also the only idiots that parked on top of the "Hill of Death". I ran up and moved it to the North boat ramp so we didn't pull the sleds up the dirt hill.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked for the rod only because I remember a kid in our group this exact thing last year. That gave me the idea that I might be able to see where the rod was on the bottom.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
TheFishin6 said:
We were the two guys in the two single man sleds. We were moving around a lot so you probably heard our drill going throughout the morning. We were also the only idiots that parked on top of the "Hill of Death". I ran up and moved it to the North boat ramp so we didn't pull the sleds up the dirt hill.
yeah. Def saw you guysover there was wondering how you did. What kinda depth were you guys fishing

·
Registered
765 Posts
Great video! I wish I could have gotten my rod back like that. I wonder how many ice rods there are laying on the bottom on that lake.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Based on the reports during every ice season, there has been to be a lot of rod/reels on the bottom of the lake because everyone seems to have lost one to a fish. I have lost 4 myself and retrieved 1.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Great pictures, video, and overall report, well done! It's always nice to be able to recover a lost/fish-stolen rod, and to land the fish to boot, you must be living right. That brookie in one of your pics is sporting some stunning spawning colors, nice. And yes, Antero can have some nasty pressure ridges when the ice is forming, everyone stay clear of those, as they often equal, thin ice. Take care and continued success!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts