Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor down the road had been telling me about some great success he and his friends had been having fly fishing from belly boats / pontoon boats the past several weekends at Antero, so I decided to go with them on Saturday. I met a bunch of experienced anglers who were very nice and imparted some wisdom with me. I fished out of my U-Boat and though the water temperature was quite cold, we couldn't have asked for a better day weather wise. I did not catch the most fish out of the group by any means, but I did catch the first fish of the day, which also happened to be one of the biggest, and my personal best rainbow trout at 21.5". It put up a great fight, and was just a beautiful brute of a fish. A nice gentleman snapped a couple quick pics before I released the fine specimen. I caught 5 fish on the day, two other bigger fish at 19 and 17". All but one were caught on leech imitations, one was caught on an orange colored scud. Action peaked from 1:00 to 3:00. Out of the six people in the fishing group, about 60 fish were caught on the day, with the biggest going 23". We all know that Antero grows some great fish, and it was evident yesterday. Here's two pics of my personal best rainbow:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Congrats on the great success. I initially thought pb was for power bait. What color and size were the leech imitations? Did you strip 'em in shallow or were you fishing deep?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knute said:
Congrats on the great success. I initially thought pb was for power bait. What color and size were the leech imitations? Did you strip 'em in shallow or were you fishing deep?
Thanks. I did best with brown color. I caught most fish at the edges of weed lines, or just above weeds. I'm not sure of the depth, I didn't let the leeches go down too far, I'd say less than two feet below surface.

·
Registered
376 Posts
independiente said:
Knute said:
Thanks. I did best with brown color. I caught most fish at the edges of weed lines, or just above weeds. I'm not sure of the depth, I didn't let the leeches go down too far, I'd say less than two feet below surface.
Thanks for the extra details. Congrats again on bringing some good pigs to hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts