Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished about 9 to noon off green lake point. Ice was about 2-4+ inches. you could see the transition from thicker to newer thin ice, and clouds, bubbles, fissures to help you stay on good stuff. That said, could only get out 50 feet or so to a 5 foot depth.
Caught a few 15-17" trout on rat finkee, rat l trap, and what I think was called a lazer jig? in purple. got a bunch of them years ago from outlaw baits...all tipped with a small piece of worm. very nice day for the first time out this year.

the far hole is an inch, the one near is 3, and the cloudy stuff I was sitting on is about 4.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there were 3 vehicles by the north boat ramp and guys out on the ice, though not far. didn't drive by the south side.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Whoa that ice looks sketchy!! I can't say I would be risking my life for some trout, but all the power to you! Nice report!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parts of it were sketchy, but all of it close to shore was 3" or more and pretty solid. I had my trusty spud bar and stayed closer in unless I was taking a straight shot out to check depth and weeds. taking the hill-o-death for a mere chance at good ice gave me pause though. Wish I would have had hockey skates on instead of boots. more fishing time and wicked fun.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
5 FOW, a spud bar, ice spikes, 3-4" of ice... I'd say you were being pretty safe.

*PSA: "Kids, always use protective equipment when ice fishing and never leave home without your spud bar... You can check the thickness of the ice PLUS it works as an anti-aircraft unit when remote controlled planes fly too closely overhead.

;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Nice report ... brave man ... but I would have gone out with you, too.
but you are right, the hill of death would make it doubly (sp) disappointing if it was too thin.

tight lines!

Mac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts