Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a few pics of ice and hearing rumors of a few inches, my dad and I decided to get out there. Boondock decided to come last minute for some first ice action.

We left canon city at 5am and got everything set up by about 630am. We were the first out there in this spot and people started trickling in for the next few hours. The hot action was right off the bat. from 645 to 10am, we managed to catch just over a dozen or so and lose a few. Boon and my dad caught the two nice fish that were about 19-20". I managed to catch three species with cutbows, rainbows, and kokanee.

A few CF people showed up to hang out too. I didn't manage to catch the handle of a guy that I\we lended our auger to because his was giving him trouble. Slayerfish and trout fished near us and we chatted a bit. Nice to meet all you guys. Clint walker came around 10am and set up next to us. It was a regular old gathering. Good times.

Ice was 6" thick where we were and the weather was pretty nice for most of the day. Got a bit windy but only lasted about an hour. Action for us died completely around 1030am and we left at 1130am. Hot lure for me was a pink homemade jig that I also gave out to a few people on the lake. Very inexpensive and easy to make and seem to work well. Also caught a couple on kasties.

Here are a few pics from the day.

Fish visiting

Tuck pose.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
catfishking said:
nice job i was there today also lots of people there we did good on the kokes
Yeah it's gonna be misery there for the next few weeks. With all the reports that are already up, the secret is out so I figured I would post anyways.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Awesome all of you! Great Koke Brian too

Kyle, I have that Blue/white/orange ht. Cheap set-up, but I've loved it. What's the rod/reel in the 3rd, 4th picture? greenish looking reel.. I need to replace most of my ice reels.. Thanks

Awesome post!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Was a decent day out. We were all alone for a bit... Suddenly the CF madness started :D

Was good to add a face to a few members.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that's boons reel james. You would have to ask him as im not sure. I was using my baitcasters hahaha

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great report. I and a friend went out along the dam area and was pretty slow for the most part. I caught a 16" bobo early in the am and released it, looking for the bigger ones. My bud caught a 22" 6lb SRCT around 1. A few more bites but no mo fish :-\. GREAT first day of icefishing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts