Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with Macman and Lake1177 at Lake's house at 0440. Time to hit antero for the first ice trip of the year! I had my new hut, the Frabill Frontier, and was ready to hit the ice! Arrived a little before 7. There were already 10+ groups on the ice when we got on. Ice was suprisingly thick--6 to 8 inches in spots. Didn't need the spud!

Ah, great to be back in the office:

Love the new hut.

The sound of augers with dull blades and the smell of gas made the spot we were fishing equivalent to the dead sea! There were probably 100 people near the south boat ramp at 8 am. Spotted one fish on the flasher and nothing. Time to move!

Saw Kokaneeking and Catfishking yanking kokanee from the ice as we hiked in. We joined the party! I think I had about 10, kept 5 females so I could get some free laker bait. Macman probably also had about a dozen and kept some for his soon-to-be-bought new smoker! Ed nailed over 20, as Macman and I went back out to another area to try to for some trout.

Macman was a little out of his element. No lake trout in here my friend:

Ice was as slick as an ice skating rink:

Moved over to another spot and then over to the north side. Here's Ed fighting a nice 18.5 incher:

Nice one Ed!

I ended up with 3 fish, two bows and one cutbow, all went about 18-19 inches. Great day to be on the ice!

Thanks to Macman for driving. Great to fish with you guys. Let my senior year on the ice begin!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
First ice and trip of the year is always a hoot. Gets the cobwebs out, and lining out one's game and timing. South Park icing, and little wind! Had a blast with Jeff and Clay. Kokes were fun (I kept 4), but it was trout we were after, and finally got them to put the feedbag on around 1:30pm. Also was nice to meet Ben (Fowl-hooked) again. And always fun fishing with Brian and Anthony.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
We were out there today...wasn't as busy as I thought it would be. Got very few trout then went for kokes for some easy action.

Great day to be out....a little breezy...stepped into a hole...power auger wouldn't fire up...but fugg it, we still had a blast!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Nittany Lion said:
Where are the people catching the Kokes at? I asked catfishking before and never got a response, would love to know. ;)
kokes are spawing at the south ramp , they are in shallow water 2 to 6 feet of water , u can see um good , for spawners u dont need a jigging machine , but they help alot if u are chaseing the 1 to 3 year olds

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip!! I was there on Friday.. it was pretty busy but looks like saturday was WAY worse! Then i went again yesterday :) Only a few people out :)

Wish we could have gotten into some kokes.. Did catch 1... my dad's 1st ever!! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts