Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was up there this morning. About 1/3 of the lake had ice on it. No safe ice yet, but next weekend should be good if temps are cooperative.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hopefully we can go this week, we were up there last year a week or two prior to thanksgiving. Had to wear life jackets, tie up with ropes and stay away from each other by 50' but it was exciting ;D

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Greeeeeeaaaaat...the new reality TV show...

Son of Deadliest Catch...

Dieing for Rainbows...or Submerging for Slimers...

Not the brightest of pursuits...

·
Registered
910 Posts
dates are correct on these pics. I think about 4" of ice, but there were sketchy areas and I skirted the bank as I headed toward the dam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
zman said:

I don't want to die any more than the next guy but that is why we were prepared for the worst.
No thin ice is not for everyone, I only take people with me that I know will not freak out if they fall through. When falling through the ice a person needs a calm head and to think through the situation.
I have fallen through a couple of times while duck hunting years ago. No big deal if you don't panic.
Before I got a dog, I used to swim for my ducks in october and november in Northern Minnesota. Some times had to break ice to get to open water for the swim. A person has time even stripped down to their underwear prior to hypothermia setting in. It is not instant like some people tend to believe.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Not worried about you...as you said you seemed prepared...

More worried about the idiots that read it and think hey I can do that without giving a thought to being prepared...that is all...and God hasnt built a rainbow trout worth swimming for...people also cramp up in icy water and ya just never know...a lot can go wrong that people dont think about...

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
South park still needs another 2-3 weeks and thats maybe 2-3" of dangerous ice. If you go which it seems more and more people do early ice(thank you slayer) know the lake, know where the current areas are, beware of springs, have a rope and keep your distance from the guys your with. Almost forgot a spud bar is a good idea.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tried going today, 2 inches of good ice on the south shore, the rest was open except for a small patch by the pumphouse. Total coverage was about 30%. Got angry and decided to go to clear lake but it was closed due to "extreme rockslide danger". I'll be fishing Antero thanksgiving, thats what they make rafts for ???

·
Registered
174 Posts
My spot will definatly be ready when I go there monday/tuesday. The south shore is frozen enough to fish out to 10 FOW (i.e.) 3 1/2 inches of ice. I havn't fished it yet but after the report I got from a friend that went yesterday I'm going regardless of what spot.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
colorado flies and jigs said:
My spot will definatly be ready when I go there monday/tuesday. The south shore is frozen enough to fish out to 10 FOW (i.e.) 3 1/2 inches of ice. I havn't fished it yet but after the report I got from a friend that went yesterday I'm going regardless of what spot.
SHHH-

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
zman said:

X2 there is not a fish in any lake worth going in through the ice for. Not even a 10+ fish.

·
Registered
66 Posts
From the fishexplorer forum:

"Went over to Antero Nov. 21st and got a good look at the lake. Still too thin for me but not for some. According to the fishermen (fish on ice just west of the dike) on the ice it was 3-4 inches thick. Temperature at 7:00 am was 32 degrees. wind was blowing out of the west at 15 to 20 mph. I looked at both north and south shores. North side has lots of open water. South side, the fishermen were about 60 feet off the dike and open water was aprox 400 feet away (just guessing distance)."

1 - 20 of 31 Posts