Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
A friend of mine fished there Sat. and said 15" of ice and no open water at this time. Another buddy fished 11 Mile and said "Lot's of grey and honeycombed ice and a lot of open water".

Be careful out there or bring a longrod and go to the Mile.
Bill

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anteroman said:
A friend of mine fished there Sat. and said 15" of ice and no open water at this time. Another buddy fished 11 Mile and said "Lot's of grey and honeycombed ice and a lot of open water".

Be careful out there or bring a longrod and go to the Mile.
Bill
I was actually considering the mile for openwater.......not sure yet. I still have not fished Antero since its re-opening and before it closed, only 4 times total.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Koldkut said:
I fished it back before it closed and the fish then were better than the average fish now...
There are a lot of 4-5 lb fish driving home to their freezers in Denver, the Springs, Pueblo, and other destinations. All year long. And if you've ever eaten a trout from Blue Mesa or up above timeberline, and you can't detect the weedy taste of Antero trout, you're ruggedized to military specifications. I can even smell the weeds while they're in the frying pan or in the smoker.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I normally will kill two a week and generally between 16" and 18". I enjoy the fish early season until the water gets above 55 degrees or so. My favorite eating trout have come from the upper Ark and the Frying Pan. It's hard to beat a 12-14" brown in butter, JMHO.
The first big brown you see pictured was 6 3/4# and 26 3/4 " he's on the wall at our cabin along with a 7 1/2# bow, the only two fish I've mounted, in 61 years of fishing.
Bill

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
They're nice ones for sure, and I have a brown and a cutt from Antero on my wall, too.

Have you eaten any Blue Mesa trout, Bill? They'll spoil you. I think they're as good as walleye.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
sswan said:
They're nice ones for sure, and I have a brown and a cutt from Antero on my wall, too.

Have you eaten any Blue Mesa trout, Bill? They'll spoil you. I think they're as good as walleye.
Your favorite drink must be vinegar with lime. Those bright orange plump fillets from Antero or 11-mile are among the best-tasting trout there are in the world.

And besides, Perch are much better than walleye anyday! ;)

Just my humble opinion-

·
Registered
863 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
sswan said:

Your favorite drink must be vinegar with lime. Those bright orange plump fillets from Antero or 11-mile are among the best-tasting trout there are in the world.

Just my humble opinion-
And much easier to catch too!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
sswan said:

Just my humble opinion-
They're pretty looking because of the scuds they eat, and nasty tasting because of the weeds they ingest feeding on those same scuds. Eat a filet from Antero and Blue Mesa on the same day and tell me you can't taste the difference. You'd be as well off pulling up some Antero weeds and putting orange food coloring on them along with some beer batter.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
sswan said:

Just my humble opinion-
X2

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
One of the soldiers at PHWFF was out today said it was around 10 inches off the south boat ramp where they were fishing.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
The funniest part about this thread...that Slayers keyboard was able to actually type the words

Just My Humble Opinion...

I think trout typed it for him!!!... ;D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
It takes eating an Antero trout to realize that your fishing license fees are being used for a bizarre experiment with metro South Platte carp and orange dye.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
sswan said:
It takes eating an Antero trout to realize that your fishing license fees are being used for a bizarre experiment with metro South Platte carp and orange dye.
Ah, you probably like eating Drum! :D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Ah, you probably like eating Drum! :D
Nope--Trout from rivers and streams, high altitude lakes, and Blue Mesa. Along with kokanee, walleye, perch, and catfish from super cold clean water like the AuSable River in Michigan. I don't like weedy tasting fish, no matter what color the filets are.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts