Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a long, slow, windy day. My buddy Chris, his wife Vicky, and the 2 youngest kids, Joe and Kay came down from Brighton this morning to do some icing. Was out fishing on Antero Res. from 7-11am. I caught 1 bobo about 12 inches. Seen quite a few trout swim up and inspect the ice jigs. Tried all sorts of lures and baits. Had 3 hits on the Automatic Fisherman, but they were biting so light, missed them all. Everyone had hits at Antero. Not that many people out there for a Saturday. Ice was 24 inches. Fished in 10-12 feet of water. Moved once. Wind was brutal, alot of fun setting up and taking down the ice huts. :( Fished 11-mile from 2:30-5:30. Got out on the ice just as the tournament was getting over. I caught 2 12" bows and lost a 15 incher at the hole. Seen a few bigger trout swim by. Was in 16 feet of water on 24 inches of ice. Few other hits. Thanks for coming down Chris, sorry the fishing was slow. I'll blame it on the cold front weather and not Chris being a jinx. ;D :p

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Wow..pretty slow huh? Well at least you got a couple though..

D.J.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seen quite a few big ones at Antero. Think this cold front had the bite shut down because they were hitting so light. From my experience Antero usually slows down this time of year. Elevenmile stays pretty steady and the pike fishing should start getting better. Let me know if your coming Grumpie.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He liked the hut except for setting it up in the wind. Just like mine or any lightweight hut, when the winds blowing you need 2 or 3 people to set up and take down.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
elkdeerbear said:
He liked the hut except for setting it up in the wind. Just like mine or any lightweight hut, when the winds blowing you need 2 or 3 people to set up and take down.
u wont be able to set up the tent jeff, ur automatic fisherman will be goin off ;D and ill be with my sled catchin while ur settin up ;D ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also went to Antero on Saturday, Feb. 5th. I got there before daylight, but with all of the trouble getting my shelter up with about 25
mille per hour wind, it was nearly 8 before I got it secured and holes drilled again. (I was there by myself). Before getting the
shelter up, I tried braving the wind but the snow filled in the holes so fast that I couldn't really fish. I fished till about 2 pm and caught 8 fish all day. First one was about 15 inches, I then caught the best of the day, a 19 incher. Later got some stockers and about noon till 2 I got an 18", 17" , 16" and a 15". To top it off, my darned Buddy heater would not light no matter what I tried. Has anyone else had this problem? At times it will be hard to light but I have always been able to light it if I keep after it. It was darn cold in that shelter until the sun came out a little later for a short while. I talked to a few folks on the way back in and it seems that they were catching fish, but over all it seemed a little slow.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Have had that problem with the buddy heater, we think it was due to the o2 sensor...we usually blow on it to light it or put it next to draft along the wall or on the entrance...and lights and stays lit...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks zman, I'll give that a try. The darn thing is practically new-just bought it last year. It was even hard to light after I
brought it home.l

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
trtking said:
Thanks zman, I'll give that a try. The darn thing is practically new-just bought it last year. It was even hard to light after I
brought it home.l
I had thought about buying one for hunting but I saw in several reviews that they don't work well at high altitudes due to the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both lakes are getting snow but with the wind each is only about half snow covered with patches of snow and patches of slick ice. Almost did some Three Stooges tricks a couple of times. ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts