Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.denverwater.org/Recreation/Antero/

Antero Reservoir will open to camping and modified fishing June 5

Antero Reservoir will reopen for recreation Monday, June 5, 9 a.m.

Only shore angling and the following hand-launched watercraft will be permitted until further notice: kayaks, belly boats, float tubes and canoes. Watercraft is not permitted to be launched from a trailer, and gas, diesel or electric-powered motors are not allowed.
"Modified Fishing", that sounds so fun!

edit - technical difficulties

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
All these lake rules and "times being open" to boats and all this bullshit............its super fun. I feel so free. :salute:

·
Registered
625 Posts
you know that a lot of rules for antero is made by Denver water board
I think the above was a joke.....or maybe not. who knows.

part of being in a society is having rules. if everyone did whatever the hell they wanted and nobody managed the fisheries there wouldn't be any fish for anyone. 3 million people drains all the lakes mighty fast.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Denver Water and CPW are concerned with protecting the resources, Denver Water doesn't have to let anyone fish or camp on their property, and they let you do this for free. When you get your own 2500+ acre lake, let me know how many folks your going to let fish and camp there for free.
Rules and regulations are necessary in life, if you don't think so take a drive around South Park today and compare it with several years ago before 600 or so folks decided they want to "camp" on a year round basis leaving garbage as well as human waste on the properties they are destroying.
My rant for the year.
Bill

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I think the above was a joke.....or maybe not. who knows.
part of being in a society is having rules. if everyone did whatever the hell they wanted and nobody managed the fisheries there wouldn't be any fish for anyone. 3 million people drains all the lakes mighty fast.

Oh! You mean, act like a politician!!! lol

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Denver Water and CPW are concerned with protecting the resources, Denver Water doesn't have to let anyone fish or camp on their property, and they let you do this for free. When you get your own 2500+ acre lake, let me know how many folks your going to let fish and camp there for free.
Rules and regulations are necessary in life, if you don't think so take a drive around South Park today and compare it with several years ago before 600 or so folks decided they want to "camp" on a year round basis leaving garbage as well as human waste on the properties they are destroying.
My rant for the year.
Bill
I think you and me are the only ones who have seen this happening in SP.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
It's not just happening at S P. It is happening on all public lands.

Earlier this spring, when I was able to get out and fish, along the river within 12 ft or so some lazy A**hat took a **** and left the tp too. Couldn't walk an extra 15 ft to get in the bushes, nope had to do it right next to the trail.... People, gotta love'em..

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
It's not just happening at S P. It is happening on all public lands.

Earlier this spring, when I was able to get out and fish, along the river within 12 ft or so some lazy A**hat took a **** and left the tp too. Couldn't walk an extra 15 ft to get in the bushes, nope had to do it right next to the trail.... People, gotta love'em..
The masses are asses. Too many people are one of the main reasons we left Denver. Couldn't be happier. We live in a town of less than 1000 and no stoplight. Still too many people. But by far better.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The masses are asses. Too many people are one of the main reasons we left Denver. Couldn't be happier. We live in a town of less than 1000 and no stoplight. Still too many people. But by far better.

AGREE!

If I would have known back then what I know (and how I feel) now, I would have made a different career choice. I am fortunate to live where I do and do what I do. But like you, the lil city I live in is too big.

Love the area where we (you and I) live in.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
AGREE!

If I would have known back then what I know (and how I feel) now, I would have made a different career choice. I am fortunate to live where I do and do what I do. But like you, the lil city I live in is too big.

Love the area where we (you and I) live in.
Man aint that some truth. We were looking at buying this piece of property, (35 acres, nice cabin and Ward Creek) it was $189K. Not a bad deal. We decided not to. Not the right time. Thirty years ago that slice of heaven would have been less than $20k. Wish I could have/would have bought some land back in the day!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Real estate is nuts now with the demand for housing. Heard the other day that a thousand people a month are moving here.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
So is this a permanent thing @ Antero?

I wonder what the fishing will be like, obviously they restocked after the salvage, how long have the re-stocked fish been in there and had a chance to grow?

·
Registered
262 Posts
So is this a permanent thing @ Antero?

I wonder what the fishing will be like, obviously they restocked after the salvage, how long have the re-stocked fish been in there and had a chance to grow?
I spoke with Game and Fish a couple months ago. They weren't terribly helpful. I know between '02 and '07, they stocked a couple of times with sample test trials, and you remember we couldn't catch a fish under 16 inches. The escaped fish should be in the 20 inch range by now ... not sure what the escapement was, though. Game and Fish may not have expected this early opening, so it's hard to say if they stocked this past winter or not.

If Jeff Spohn is still working the South Platte, maybe someone will interview him and he can detail of how the lake as been managed. Personally, I would hope they put enough Rotenone in there to kill every sucker in the lake. While I enjoyed using sucker meat for big trout, I know they are an inhibitor to a productive lake.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The lake was stocked last year and the fish for the most part are now 14-18", they're more than likely will be larger fish as well. The fish will probably not be like it was in 2007 with a large % over 20". The lake under ideal conditions can produce trout that grow 1-2" per month. By ice on I'm sure there will be a lot of 20+ inch fish if anglers don't abuse the two fish per day limit. No culling is allowed, if you stringer a fish, put it in a cooler or in your live well, it is a caught fish and should never be put back in the lake.
From what I understand, approximately 800 Tiger muskies were stocked to help control suckers, as most of you are aware, Tigers are sterile and cannot reproduce.
Bill

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
hopefully they don't have the same experience that lake john has had with putting that chemical in the lake. my guess is that the chemical killed all the small life in there that the trout eat therefore they aren't growing anything like they used to.. they are going on 3 or 4 years and most of the fish they stocked, with the exception of the few brood fish they stocked, are still well under the 20 inch mark.. that is not how slow the fish used to grow here.. hopefully they didn't use the chemical..not my place to fish..can't stand that place.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
The lake under ideal conditions can produce trout that grow 1-2" per month. By ice on I'm sure there will be a lot of 20+ inch fish if anglers don't abuse the two fish per day limit.
good luck with that..i sat in my ice shelter right next to the boat dock one day and watched a group of 3 fellas out there that had a lady walking back and forth from their shelter to their car all day..well late in the day she slipped and fell on the ice once in front of my shelter so i got out to help her up and lo and behold there were 8 great looking dead trout laying there on the ice.. so i watched her go up to the car open the trunk and take a bunch of stuff out of the trunk and put the fish in there and then put all the other stuff back in so my assumption was that those were not the only fish that she did that with since she went back and forth a bunch of times that day.. i sure wish people didn't think that the rules don't apply to them. FOLLOW THE RULES!!!! they are there for a reason.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts