Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roads clear, fished by pump house from 7:15 am to 11:30am. Threw the whole tackle box at em and not even a nibble. Marked a few at 5 ft in 13 cow. Water temp 33 just under ice measured with stream thermometer. About a dozen other parties on the ice. Wind was steady 15 N/NW gusting to over 30. Partly sunny with front hanging over mt Antero

·
Registered
902 Posts
I took my new to me cruiser up there for a couple couple hrs in the afternoon. Didn't catch **** except a leg pump dragging the sled out there. Met up with a buddy for good company some kinda fancy liquor plus plum wood and tips for the smoker.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Too late in the year, it starts slowing down big time after mid January. Even in it's prime it was like that. Might have good luck if you could get by the inlet?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Deep snow it could winterkill...its due...
we were in a spot at first where all the weeds were laying over. then we moved closer to shore and the weeds were still up and kinda green. we talked about how the inlet might be better. where the best spot to park to hike to the inlet?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
That's true. It's been loved to death over the past several years. I don't think it'll be a trophy producer again until Denver Water drains it and refills it. And that's not likely to happen until we have a low snowpack year.
nice way to put it. id say raped. i used to get quite a few a day. cnr'd all of them. now i dont even go, except early ice. and thats just to see how bad it has become. hike in lakes people cant ruin bc theyre too lazy is the way to go. lol.
antero has had alot of snow cover and "winter kill" has been brought up never seen it myself. there are a few nice fish still, fortunately they are smarter than those pursuing them.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Deep snow it could winterkill...its due...
Hasn't winter killed in along time and doubt it will again. last time when the conditions where right to maybe winter kill they started to plow it to let light in. Imagine that's what they will do again.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the map it looks like the south shore parking area is the best place with public parking. It looks like the are roads etc but appears to be private land. I'm going to try again in a couple weeks and I'm up for a hike. Definitely felt the burn in the short walk from the first north side lot to the pumphouse area with the snow as deep and soft as it was plus my heavy ass bunny boots.

·
Registered
91 Posts
we talked about how the inlet might be better. where the best spot to park to hike to the inlet?
I think hill o death park lot and follow trail around NW corner of the lake. I walked it last April all way past the lone pine tree and several spring inlets flowing in, never made it all way to the Platte in, not sure if that is best way to walk to Platte inlet or not? Anyone?
Way scenic, long ass route would be from the 63 Ranch SWA park lot off 285 and follow river down..that would be a journey for sure..

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Well if yer ice fishing you would just walk across the lake-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts