Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nope no Moses in this one...I couldnt go was on call but my hockey buddy went to the annual Antero ice fishing derby...weather was beautiful warm and no wind all day...

415 people checked in and fished...

only 32 or 36 fish were measured and weighed all day...

the winning fish was 22 inches and 4.5 pounds...

a far cry from it once was...

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Interesting..I thought they'd be pulling in a whole lot more fish than that, plus one of bigger size.

Wonder whats going on there?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
And some wonder why a fisherman might want to stay away from talking much or showing off.

Antero is a great example of what too much pressure can do to a fishery. Just sayin..................

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep pounded and everything goes home...which isnt a bad idea since it winterkills every 3-5 years it seems...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yep pounded and everything goes home...which isnt a bad idea since it winterkills every 3-5 years it seems...
Yep...it would be one of the best C and R lakes in the state..If it didn't periodically winter kill.. Plenty of food.

I think the same thing happens at Spinney even with the restrictions..You sure can catch a bunch of fish up to twenty inches..and then after that..one at a time..they too go home.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
First ice 2007 almost positive me and slayer first to ice it after being closed all those years. After 8 hours fishing we had to have iced 250 lbs. of MRT's. There where times that day 3 rods sticking straight up and down saved by the dickie rod saver and line screaming off the reels.

·
Registered
574 Posts
they should make it catch n release flies and lures only =]

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I don't think the food there is great right now, last time I ate a fish from there(last year) there were more microscopic sized scuds and weeds in the belly. I could not find the food source as easily as in the past from pulling up weeds. I wished they would have closed it for dam repairs and drained it again.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Suckers have taken over
It's not everyone keeping fish. Suckers out compete the trout.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Antero sucks. You got a better chance at lowell ponds with the mujados.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is a rare occasion I get skunked but my cousin wanted to fish the tourney so my son and I went too. had two bites all day. Did not see many fish caught either however the ones caught were decent. did not mark a fish all day on the vex or the camera. Have no idea where to go. we just followed the crowds and were not rewarded.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've only been to Antero once this year. Between two of us we caught equal number of trout and suckers, about 20 of each. Biggest trout at 4#. Fish are in there.

However, my experience in South Park is "no wind = no fish". Was at 11 Mile the same day as the Antero Tourney, marked 2 fish in 9 hours for 0 bites. My buddy iced 2. Tough days in South Park for sure.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I will agree with the above. Both times at slutero I fished this fall the hardest thing I had to do was cast into the wind.... But once I got beyond the weed line the fish were easy pickings and aggressive. Wind=fish.

After this fall I will not bad mouth that whore of a lake ever again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts