Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Near the beginning of the 2002 drought, the water in Antero Reservoir was used or released to other storage because the large surface area of
the reservoir, combined with its lack of depth, made it vulnerable to evaporation. At the end of August, 2002, the Division of Wildlife removed 10,000 trout from the reservoir and Antero was closed to public use. As of the March 21, 2005, report on Denver Water reservoir levels, the reservoir was only 5% full. In mid-June, the reservoir was only 21% full, far from the 85%-95% needed before it can be restocked.

The reservoir will probably remain unstocked and the facilities closed for the rest of 2005. Conditions for stocking will be evaluated in the spring of 2006. When the facility is open for public use, this will be announced on the Antero page and on the Denver Water home page.

The site now states the reservoir is 95% full. Awsome news!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
They will stock it with catchables that will grow at an astonishing rate due the scuds coming to live in the dead vegetation...it will open spring or summer...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Are they still going to allow bait? how far is antero from golden? I want to know because I will be going to colorado school of mines almost certainly in a year and a half's time.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
TFB mapquest has Golden to Hartsel at 94 miles...so it is about an even 100 miles...Spinney isnt much further so you can fish for Pike...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
i hope antero is opened up soon...ive only fished there once, but had a great day rowing a friend of mine around in a driftboat there. the sorry *%$! caught a rainbow that was over 8lbs that day...and all i got for it was a sore back and some windburn. lakes like that have the bio mass to produce some huge fish in a short amount of time, and it would be the caliber Spinney used to be in the early days if they can keep water in it...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
It will be great to have it back! I thnk it is the best Brown trout fishery on the east slope?

It will be great for about three years. Then the suckers will take over and the amazing growth will slow. Plus everyone will be killing their four fish a day. Someone will start a petition again to stock Tigers to control the suckers, but of coarse it will be to little to late and TU would never let that happen anyway! Then after about 7-8 years they will find a reason to drain it again and we will start the whole cycle over again :mad:

I am sorry to get negative, but I have been fishing there for 25 years! I have no problem with bait being allowed! Bait fisherman buy their license just like everyone else! But I would like to see a one fish over 20" regulation there.

The biggest Bow I ever caught on my flyrod was at Antero right before it was drained. It was 27"and I caught it on a red San Jaun worm.

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Antero will always winter kill sooner or later,and the suckers will always move in. The message is to enjoy it while it is happening. In the words of the immortal Todd Bertuzzi-"It is what it is".

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Antero will always winter kill sooner or later,and the suckers will always move in. The message is to enjoy it while it is happening. In the words of the immortal Todd Bertuzzi-"It is what it is".

That about sums it up!

I do wonder though, with all the money they spent on stream improvements on the stream below, why didn't they dredge out Antero and make it a little deeper by the dam?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
afishman said:
hey rottal at least he didn't put a hook in your face ;D
yes, true true ;)

I think a lot of those high plains lake run the "cycle" of peaking out after a couple years, then dropping off again. they are pretty hard top manage with the whole sucker/trout/pike combo that seems to keep occuring. hopefully at least if they can keep decent water levels, and one day maybe someone will figure out to handle the sucker issue...until then, hopefully they open it up soon and at least we can enjoy for a few years. as slayer said, "it is what it is..."

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
why don't the put pike or tigers in there? It works at spinney and 11 mile to control the suckers and or carp while also still having a trophy trout fishery.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Tigers would be perfect! They wouldn't reproduce.

They always assume that the browns and Splake will control the suckers? UNfortunately the suckers grow faster than the trout! I think it should be a two pronged attack! Lotsof Browns and Splake to eat small suckers and Tigers to eat adult suckers. Then go up into the inlet and electroshock spawning suckers every spring!!!! Hell, I would volunteer my time to do the dirty work if the DOW supplied equipment?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I'm sure the browns, rainbows, and splake do a number on the small suckers, but since suckers are so much more prolific than trout (and trout have to be stocked in reservoirs generally to have a fishable population), then the suckers almost always overtake the fishery. We have about 100 lakes on the grand mesa like that. They all used to have nice trout (cutts, bows, browns, brookies or a combination of them) but suckers overtook everything. Sadly, they will not put tigers in to fix them, even though they have said it would work. I know the reason they won't stock here (west of the continental divide) but it doesn't make sense why they don't stock them in antero from what I hear about it?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I actually had a guy, who "claimed" ???? He was with Trout Unlimited? ask me to sign a petition to stop the DOW from considering stocking Tigers in Antero. I politely explained that I was actually for it and why. He then proceeded to lecture me on how Pike were eating all the trout at Spinney and the same thing would happen here! I tried to explain that a small number of Tigers could be controlled because they are sterile and how I thought Spinney differed from Antero. To each his own?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Hmmm. pike will eat suckers and other slower moving fish first because they are easier for them to catch anyway. What would you do if you were a pike? Chase a quick trout or get a slow sucker? Pike and trout can even coexist well (as is shown at stagecoach, great trout AND lots of pike), spinney was just a rare exception. I think tigers would be a safe bet for antero, but then again I really don't know much about antero yet.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Neal/CO said:
Tigers would be perfect! They wouldn't reproduce.

They always assume that the browns and Splake will control the suckers? UNfortunately the suckers grow faster than the trout! I think it should be a two pronged attack! Lotsof Browns and Splake to eat small suckers and Tigers to eat adult suckers. Then go up into the inlet and electroshock spawning suckers every spring!!!! Hell, I would volunteer my time to do the dirty work if the DOW supplied equipment?
ill bring a cast net and we will have laker/pike bait for life

·
Registered
15 Posts
All this talk about antero is bringing back memories of the
"OH WILL YA LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT HOG" fish that used to roam that res. I would like to see a 1 fish over 16
restriction put into place, but they'd need to actually inforce it. winterkill wouldn't be a problem if they would do
what wyoming does /w their shallow lakes. It makes for
bad ice in places but it sure keeps them from killing off every year or two. I hope all the predictions are true, if so
than "Yes virginia there is a santa clause "

1 - 19 of 19 Posts