Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,546 Posts
It will be great to have it back! I thnk it is the best Brown trout fishery on the east slope?

It will be great for about three years. Then the suckers will take over and the amazing growth will slow. Plus everyone will be killing their four fish a day. Someone will start a petition again to stock Tigers to control the suckers, but of coarse it will be to little to late and TU would never let that happen anyway! Then after about 7-8 years they will find a reason to drain it again and we will start the whole cycle over again :mad:

I am sorry to get negative, but I have been fishing there for 25 years! I have no problem with bait being allowed! Bait fisherman buy their license just like everyone else! But I would like to see a one fish over 20" regulation there.

The biggest Bow I ever caught on my flyrod was at Antero right before it was drained. It was 27"and I caught it on a red San Jaun worm.

· Registered
6,546 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Antero will always winter kill sooner or later,and the suckers will always move in. The message is to enjoy it while it is happening. In the words of the immortal Todd Bertuzzi-"It is what it is".

That about sums it up!

I do wonder though, with all the money they spent on stream improvements on the stream below, why didn't they dredge out Antero and make it a little deeper by the dam?

· Registered
6,546 Posts
Tigers would be perfect! They wouldn't reproduce.

They always assume that the browns and Splake will control the suckers? UNfortunately the suckers grow faster than the trout! I think it should be a two pronged attack! Lotsof Browns and Splake to eat small suckers and Tigers to eat adult suckers. Then go up into the inlet and electroshock spawning suckers every spring!!!! Hell, I would volunteer my time to do the dirty work if the DOW supplied equipment?

· Registered
6,546 Posts
I actually had a guy, who "claimed" ???? He was with Trout Unlimited? ask me to sign a petition to stop the DOW from considering stocking Tigers in Antero. I politely explained that I was actually for it and why. He then proceeded to lecture me on how Pike were eating all the trout at Spinney and the same thing would happen here! I tried to explain that a small number of Tigers could be controlled because they are sterile and how I thought Spinney differed from Antero. To each his own?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.