Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,952 Posts
Are they still going to allow bait? how far is antero from golden? I want to know because I will be going to colorado school of mines almost certainly in a year and a half's time.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
why don't the put pike or tigers in there? It works at spinney and 11 mile to control the suckers and or carp while also still having a trophy trout fishery.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
I'm sure the browns, rainbows, and splake do a number on the small suckers, but since suckers are so much more prolific than trout (and trout have to be stocked in reservoirs generally to have a fishable population), then the suckers almost always overtake the fishery. We have about 100 lakes on the grand mesa like that. They all used to have nice trout (cutts, bows, browns, brookies or a combination of them) but suckers overtook everything. Sadly, they will not put tigers in to fix them, even though they have said it would work. I know the reason they won't stock here (west of the continental divide) but it doesn't make sense why they don't stock them in antero from what I hear about it?

· Registered
2,952 Posts
Hmmm. pike will eat suckers and other slower moving fish first because they are easier for them to catch anyway. What would you do if you were a pike? Chase a quick trout or get a slow sucker? Pike and trout can even coexist well (as is shown at stagecoach, great trout AND lots of pike), spinney was just a rare exception. I think tigers would be a safe bet for antero, but then again I really don't know much about antero yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.