Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to south boat ramp area before dawn..south of breakwater, out about 80-100 yards. Caught several trout and a few kokanee (all released), moved north three times looking for active fish. About 9:30 decided to move farther out, as I was gathering up my gear I looked to the north where several shelters were set up..low and behold between me and them the wind had opened up the ice about 25'-30' wide and out about 5-600 yards and clear to the shore! If I hadn't got up when I did my old butt would have been drown. I would stay away from the south boat ramp for a week or more. The ice appeared to be melting with the strong wind and was getting soft on top.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Thanks for the update, fishing is always good and folks are itching to get out there on the first ice, but that's some scary stuff.

Glad you're ok.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
That's scary! Planning on going tomorrow....north shore though.
Be careful out there teach...we need your photo shoots here!!! :biggrin1:
Have fun and we expect a report!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I remember that a few years ago the lake started opening up after a early lid.
Pretty sure Slayer got caught on a big ice island that day.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I remember that a few years ago the lake started opening up after a early lid.
Pretty sure Slayer got caught on a big ice island that day.
Nah, That was JohnnyO . He leapt a 6ft wide opening at full speed with all his gear.

Me and richey got off the ice about 15 mins. earlier and checked out another area. Coming back we got to witness the leap of faith.

He'd still be out there-

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Guy on another site said Antero was opening FAST. Windy, warm and LOTS of open water.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having a little trama today, thinking about what would have happened if I had not decided to move. I know I couldn't get myself out. May take up rest home bingo! Oh well!

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Having a little trama today, thinking about what would have happened if I had not decided to move. I know I couldn't get myself out. May take up rest home bingo! Oh well!
A puff and a stiff drink will help with that-

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe a few stiff drinks....great idea! Never have puffed...guess I'm not man enough? I did find out that the mountains can kick my $ss this year. I got a six point bull and a good muley and I ran out of gas for the first time ever!!!

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Maybe a few stiff drinks....great idea! Never have puffed...guess I'm not man enough? I did find out that the mountains can kick my $ss this year. I got a six point bull and a good muley and I ran out of gas for the first time ever!!!
Some will say gettin' high shows your NOT a man- I really don't care what some people may say though!:D

Yeah if yer gettin outta shape you just gotta start working out. Happens to everybody eventually.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Maybe a few stiff drinks....great idea! Never have puffed...guess I'm not man enough? I ran out of gas for the first time ever!!!
Are you sure you don't puff?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Was there Wednesday. The area we fished last Saturday was open water. Tons of soft water everywhere. Fished the north boat ramp and did okay--biggest went 21" and a ton of ones in the 16-17" range.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Went by Antero today alot of open water most of the ice is slush 45 deg - looks like it will be a couple of days before it will be safe again

·
Registered
290 Posts
Bull

Went to south boat ramp area before dawn..south of breakwater, out about 80-100 yards. Caught several trout and a few kokanee (all released), moved north three times looking for active fish. About 9:30 decided to move farther out, as I was gathering up my gear I looked to the north where several shelters were set up..low and behold between me and them the wind had opened up the ice about 25'-30' wide and out about 5-600 yards and clear to the shore! If I hadn't got up when I did my old butt would have been drown. I would stay away from the south boat ramp for a week or more. The ice appeared to be melting with the strong wind and was getting soft on top.
Ya right make everyone think it's unsafe to go Ice fishing. Great tactic to keep everyone away. Same **** every year. Everyone to Antero baby Ice On.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts