Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the word? My neighbor wants to head up there this weekend, but I'm not so sure it's all that hot right now. Or is it?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Had a little time and wanted to see for myself, so I went to Antero today. I hiked and fished around the whole reservoir, and that's not a good idea -- huge muddy marshes, stream crossings, barbed wire fences (wasn't sure at the time, but parts of the west end are privately owned -- my bad). The worst was that in about six hours of hiking/fishing, not a hit, not a follow, didn't even see a fish -- a live fish that is. I saw over a hundred dead trout -- all sizes, but a lot around 20-22". A lot of them are just gone now -- just scattered bones somewhere, but there are plenty still there to see. Saw two rainbows right near one another, 26 inches a piece. :'( There was not a single person besides me at the lake. No trailered boats are allowed. There was also a sign that no watercraft are allowed -- kinda confusing -- float tube? The DOW needs to do some big-time work and we have to give it some time before that fishery is even close to the way it was. How do you replace a bunch of 20"+ trout? Do what you want, but I'm giving it a year at Antero and hoping for a better winter.

Stopped at Spinney to try to get rid of the skunk and I did catch a nice rainbow, but a lot of them are spawning, and you can see 'em well but they aren't thinking about eating. In an hour or so I didn't see any other trout caught. It didn't stink of dead fish at Spinney, which was nice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's insane. I only went there twice last year before it froze, the action was slow, but the fish were big. I was pullin' for Spinney anyways! I always have a good time there. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Maybe DOW should learn from their mistakes and save all those fingerlings for the Mile or Spinney..................poor little fish are doomed. Antero will always stand a higher than normal chance of winterkill................whether the lake grows fish fast or not.........it will never be a great fishery. (unless global warming really takes hold) ;) I say drain it............dredge enough of a hole to allow for winter survival..........then fill it and hope for the best.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Tubejig said:
I say just stock it with browns and let it be, from what I hear browns have a higher tolerance than rainbows.
Not sure about 02 levels but for sure to temperature. Seem to be a much tougher and better looking fish.

·
Registered
725 Posts
90% or 53% - it is an inexact science at best based on netting ops. Alot of 24 - 20 slot fish died, and will continue to from time to time. I am with Tubejig, forget the bows which made up most of the kill and stick with browns. Pound a 100 G a year in there and see what happens, may remind us of Spinney in the late 80's and early 90's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts