Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking into a new spinning reel I was thinking about Shimano saros, symetre, or Sahara or a Abu Garcia revo s spinning reel. I had a orra s before the new redesigned one, paired up with a veritas. I was wondering off any one had any input on these reels or others I should try, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
So many good reels to choose from these days. I have different ones for different applications, but I have steered away from Shimano because of past experience with getting parts when the start to break down.

Penn and Pflueger have been good to me for a long time, but recently I tried Quantum Smoke and they seem to be pretty reliable so far.

IMO you can find plenty of good spinning reels between $80 and $150 that will last quite a long time.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
You can't mess up with a Shimano, although, my Saros was not that great. I believe that year release had problems, but I think they've fixed it since then.

I've had a Symetre since the 90's, still butter smooth.

Shimano will always get my vote.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was also considering a quantum accurist as well but not quite sure reviews seem too be not that awesome for the shimanos I'm considering and a couple bad for that quantum as for the abu so far most pretty good I always have had great experience with Abu Garcia the only reason my orra broke ours because I thought I could break it down to clean completely and put it back together lol but that wasn't the case I accidentally broke a couple teeth on the gears inside I'll eventually fix it but I need/want a reel till then.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
If you want to save some bucks...Buy two Phleuger Presidents for the price of one Revo S..I think you'd be happy. Or, for a new setup, get a 6'6" Medium Berkley Lightning rod and a president for less than a revo s.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I own both plfueger presidents and shimano symetre . I like pfluegers but I would buy another symetre any day. My plfueger with braid on it is still as smooth as when I opend it though, and I can cast pretty damn far on it. My other pflueger has mono on it and it isn't nearly as smooth, not saying this is the monos fault though. It sorta clicks once every time you turn the wheel, I have tried to open it and check it out but I can't get the bottom off and don't want to force it and have parts fly everywhere. The symetre is a much smoother retrieve, but I don't think the president is a bad route. It depends what your looking for, 1 nice set up or two good set ups.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
If you want to save some bucks...Buy two Phleuger Presidents for the price of one Revo S..I think you'd be happy. Or, for a new setup, get a 6'6" Medium Berkley Lightning rod and a president for less than a revo s.
I own a lightning rod and it is probably the worst rod I have ever owned sensitivity wise. Its a 2pc 7ft ML and you can hardly feel a snag on the thing :) I think it is an older model though I don't even remember buying it found it in the garage one day, all I know is it sucks!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Just fished a new Lightning rod for eyes the other day. Very light...very sensitive..fast action..good backbone for the hook set..can feel every tic and take. Great bang for the buck in my opinion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha if I had a dollar for every time ice heard about or been recommended the president is buy the stradic. I dont know if its my luck or what but in my experience the presidents I seem break or after a week they don't feel as smooth anymore my buddy got one and the anti reverse broke and my dad's don't feel too smooth he's only had it for I'd say a month or 2

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Just fished a new Lightning rod for eyes the other day. Very light...very sensitive..fast action..good backbone for the hook set..can feel every tic and take. Great bang for the buck in my opinion.
Interesting, like I said this one is older and 2 pc. I might pick up one of the newer ones the next time I'm at bass pro they seem to all be generally under 50$

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha if I had a dollar for every time ive heard about or been recommended the president I'd get the stradic haha I don't know if its my luck or what but in my experience the presidents ive had or been around seem break or don't feel as smooth anymore one I had tired and on one my buddy got the anti-reverse broke on it and my dad's he hasn't used his much since he opened it but it dont feel as smooth anymore.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I still have my first shimano it is about 35 years old and I still use it every season. although I now have 15 shaminos and only had one that needed parts and shimano sent them at no charge about10 years ago. I also have about 15 baitcasters mostly linecounters. spend the money $60 to $80 dollars and get the better reels. I have used the high dollar reels and don't see that you get that much more for your money. they all do the same job, no more no less. I cry a lot less when I break a less costly rig. or loose one overboard. just take care of your rods and reels and they will last forever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts