Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "how many rods do you keep in your car" poll got me to thinking. Does anyone have worries about leaving their rods in their car like behind the seat (my truck) or in the trunk? I'm not talking about the low-lifes that would steal them. I am talking about the weather extremes we have here in Colorado. Does the warm, heat, cold, bitter cold have any effects on rods? I don't know because I still take mine inside all the time. But I am thinking about storing them behind the seat in my pickumup truck.
Just wondering.
Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I have never had any problems with the rods I left in my car from heat or cold. I think it gets just as cold in my garage as it does my car, and almost as hot.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think behind the seat would be fine your line might need changing a little more frequently i put fresh on mine at the begning of spring/ice out and then again mid to late summer and have never had any problems.

now if you were to leave your rod on the dash front or rear that would be a different story the local heat like that could cook the resin in the rod and weaken it also that would also take a much heavyer toll on the line

M

·
0 Posts
i dont have any problemos leaving all my stuff in the garage, i do change my line pretty often though

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
No problem with that, but if there's a lot of junk that could roll around in the trunk of your truck, you might want to be careful. I had a few break on me due to this.

Also, I've had some old reels rust up on me because I left my camper sliding windows cracked and it rained over night.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
also be carefull that they arnt rubbing on something i had one that was against a tool box and the bouncing from the vibrations when driving wore a weak spot in it and it busted.

·
Banned
26 Posts
If I'm in site of them I never worry. I seldom leave rods in the truck anyway, using the two or three I usually bring with me.
If I'm hiking a long way off, I might put them under a blanket or something, along with any other valuables.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I keep the rods inside at night (unless I'm fishing with them) but they are pretty much visible in the covered parking area at work. Vehicle break-ins aren't real common here but they do happen.

The bag is stowed away pretty well and the rods are secure in the back (not bouncin' or anything).

Lost a stereo out of the pathfinder last year in front of the house. Losing my gear would be tens times worse...and that was a good stereo.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think the question was about the effects of heat, cold, and such not the theft problem

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
i think the question was about the effects of heat, cold, and such not the theft problem
Theft is a big concern of mine.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Temperature variation and UV rays do take their toll on rods and reels. With the new materials they are made out of (graphite composites for rods) they are more tolerant to these things. But constant long term exposure to hot then cold is kind of like bending a wire over and over it gradually gets weaker and then it breaks.

With reels the concern I have is the line on it especially if it is monofilament. I am sure it weakens the line over time and some lines are advertised as UV resistant. The thing that I notice most and makes worry the most about damage is the fact that you can have a nice limp line on the reel today, but after an afternoon in the sun in a hot car you have memory that won't go away. I hate lines that have a memory!

Just my opinion.

Dan

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the question was more about temps. On my truck I have a camper shell and the cab is a reg cab. So I'm thinking if I put the pvc rod case behind the driver seat ( the middle seat doesn't come down so it is always up) I don't think much sunlight would get to the flyrod case. But I'm wondering about the heat and the cold changes. I would love to carry one of my rods in my truck all the time. Because sometimes at the spur of the moment I would have to drive to Pueblo or Penrose or even to the mountains straight from work. I think it would be pretty neat to have the flyrod with me just in case I find me a body of water I just couldn't pass up. Oh and my truck is always locked up and the windows rolled up.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
even just tossing a jacket or balnket/towel over the rod case will cut the temps quite a bit the worst is if the case was in the direct sun then the temps could get high enough to adversly affect the reisns and glues used in the rod

F

·
0 Posts
Im not concerned about my rods or reels its my line ....If your line doesnt look smooth and straight coming off the spool...the heat or sunlight has gotten to it and needs to be changed ...Im a freak about changing my line I do it probably every two weeks ...If I hook into a fish of a lifetime I dont want to look back and wonder what would have happend if I didnt leave my line exposed to heat and sunlight !!!!! When you cast out and your line looks like a curly fry from arby's you exposed it either to to much heat or sunlight and needs to be changed . Every time I leave my stuff in my truck that happens

·
Registered
16,534 Posts
The jiggling and vibrations cant be good on 'em.I dont worry about the line 'cause I change it a lot.I use a 1,000 yd spool in less than a year.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've left a flyrod in my truck for over ten years now- I do keep in in its case, and its done fine- the tube has warped a little, but the rod action is as good as ever.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I left a 9ft 6wt Orvis rod assembled in my Yukon one time and the tip was pressed onto the windshield. This was in the middle of summer and when I pulled it out two days later the tip was a little warped. Learning experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts