·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any rivers still fish able?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
There are no fish in the rivers of CO.....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Spring creeks - is Giannetti the only one? That's an option in Idaho and Montana, but Colorado is woefully short on them. Is there any part of Giannetti that is open to public?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The Ark tailwater is at 1679 cfs.. But I suppose you could fish it......

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Winter flows are around 400 i think. summer after irrigation releases 650ish? But if you cover enough ground and throw streamers and SJW's you could pick up some fish on the edges.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just checked the USGS. Apparently it can drop down below 100cfs in the winter.. Did not think it got that low! Although I do now remember when that extreme dip happened last winter due to a mistake at the dam. Dropped down to a trickle. http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&cb_00010=on&cb_00095=on&cb_00045=on&format=gif_default&site_no=07099970&period=&begin_date=2014-04-30&end_date=2015-05-07

I think they had a mistake at the dam yesterday too, it jumped from 220 to 1350 in a couple minutes. Practically a man-made flash flood downstream. I was standing in the middle of the river in a riffle and it went from my shins to over my knees in the time it took me to tie on a fly, I had to wade to shore to grab my extra rod and then cross back again to my car in the rising water. I guess a kid in town got stuck in the middle of the river and had to be rescued. Watch out, idiots are in charge of the dam!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I think they had a mistake at the dam yesterday too, it jumped from 220 to 1350 in a couple minutes. Practically a man-made flash flood downstream. I was standing in the middle of the river in a riffle and it went from my shins to over my knees in the time it took me to tie on a fly, I had to wade to shore to grab my extra rod and then cross back again to my car in the rising water. I guess a kid in town got stuck in the middle of the river and had to be rescued. Watch out, idiots are in charge of the dam!

Wasn't a mistake
They pulled the flows way back due to all the rain and flooding down stream. Avondale east of pueblo was flooding. So it was at 1200 or whatever and they slowed it to 225.
Once the water went down on fountain creek and the ark they opened up the gates more.

What part of the river was the kid stuck in? If it was east of where fountain creek dumps in it had very very little to do with the release from the dam. Fountain creek at the ark had been around 10,000 cfs for about 2 days

·
Registered
592 Posts
I know it wasn't a mistake, someone pushed the button, I was being facetious. But, usually they increase flows in stages a couple hundred cfs at a time. On a busy Sunday with lots of people in and around the river it was a dumb thing to do. The rescued kid was way upstream of the Fountain Creek confluence in downtown Pueblo. Fountain got up to 14,000 yesterday, I doubt a 1,000 cfs change from Pueblo dam would make much of a difference for Avondale...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I know it wasn't a mistake, someone pushed the button, I was being facetious. But, usually they increase flows in stages a couple hundred cfs at a time. On a busy Sunday with lots of people in and around the river it was a dumb thing to do. The rescued kid was way upstream of the Fountain Creek confluence in downtown Pueblo. Fountain got up to 14,000 yesterday, I doubt a 1,000 cfs change from Pueblo dam would make much of a difference for Avondale...

Yep and gotcha
1000cfs still adds up when things are flooding. Why add insult to injury and raise the water another foot?

Now it's 3150 out of the res lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yikes I hope they shut the dam off or match the flows coming in right now. I was pre-fishing for a tournament next weekend and liked where the water levels were.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Yikes I hope they shut the dam off or match the flows coming in right now. I was pre-fishing for a tournament next weekend and liked where the water levels were.
Lol not happening
Res will be dropping 10-12" a day
Get ready

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hey if you all are going to toon the tailwater send me a PM. I have been looking for people who can help with the shuttle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts