Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
bigwallymag said:
W.E have you ever catch walleye at Lon hagler and can you fish at night??
Have I ever caught walleye out of L. H. -- no. Are there walleye in there -- yes. I usually target the trout, but I have seen up to 8 pound eyes come out of there and I'm thinking of trying some serious walleye fishing this year. I did try once this fall, tossed out a big night crawler to soak, and ended up catching a 7 lb catfish instead. Boyd has some big walleyes in it too, but you need a boat and you have to know where to fish.

One guy told me that 2 years ago he caught a 17 lb 10 oz eye out of Hagler, a pound short of the state record, but until I see something like that with my own eyes I am going to say it was probably just a fish story.

Added:
Yes, you can fish all night there if you want to, the DOW doesn't care. A few catfishermen come out there at night sometimes, don't know about the walleye fishermen.

I've seen a guy pull out a 25" walleye from Lon Hagler on his crappie slip float about three years ago. It was a fatty.

1eyeReD

The inlet is running right now, but you can't trust it to keep going, they seem to open and close it as the spirit moves them. So my guess for walleye spawning activities would be the big rocks and rip rap along the dam at the east end.

The walleyes I have actually seen caught were post-spawn fish caught out of the area between the two boat launch ramps. It's kind of a sandy bottom there that slopes out into the lake from shore.

Also some caught from boats drifting baits on the bottom clear out in the middle of the lake.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.