Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past summer I started to fish prospect ponds, riverbend ponds and horsetooth in Fort Collins. At first I was getting a ton of walleye in horsetooth then that quickly turned into nothing. I then starting trying prospect and riverbend. All I have ever gotten out of those two were really small fish and even that stopped not too long into the fall. I then started getting into fishing the river and had great success there. Jumping into a river is not really something I want to do right now but is there any where in the Fort Collins area that is worth fishing these days. I am feening for some fish now. Any help would be awesome thank.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you are willing to make a drive down to colorado springs, there is Pikeview lake. It is a great lake, with open water and it has Trout(Limit out on 13-15 inch trout with pink meat and extremely fat usually in a couple hours), tiger musky, bass, and saugeye. I know its probably not what your looking for, just thought I would make a reccomendation because this is where I go when I have an absolute itch to fish!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Padrefan760 you could try Boyd. It's relitivley close and didn't have alot of ice yesterday. Also the poudre is ice free in spots in town and in the lower canyon. If there is not ice on riverbend ponds you could fish them still. I hear that SLOW is the ticket during the winter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Boyd is a good choice.... Lon Hagler as well... trout in both and a few perch here and there... I hit Horsetooth today, caught 3 Smallmouths on jerk baits and one 19" rainbow as well.... pretty slow over all. The retrieve was so slow I actually had to make myself count to 20 before each jerk or slash of the bait... patience is the KEY.

Good Luck......................... TONY

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thanks for the advise guys. I ended up going to Ron Hagler. There were only a few spots that were not covered in ice but found one decent place. Only caught one fisht, it was a 15" trout. Nothing too special but hey it gave me my fishing fix I needed this winter. Thank again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts