Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has made something to help get the shelters to move better when there is alot of snow on the ice? Would wheels work better than rails?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pulling my Eskimo QuickFlip is like pulling an anchor when there is snow. I've thought of adding a set of skis to the bottom but don't want to add weight. The problem is the whole bottom drags, getting it up would reduce the drag, but then the sled sits higher and it has seats built-in. They sell rail kits but are they pricey $$$, saw some for I think, $75.00. I'll just do the extra work for now. I leave it home unless I have help or I have to have it, or know I have easy access, Not at Granby.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My flip is not bad most of the times. I tried attaching a sled with rails but the sled drags in deeper snow. I thought thin tall wheels might work. Thought someone might have figured a better way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I built an aluminum 8" riser base for my Quickflip2 and mounted some DH skis my buddy gave me. I also built an auger mount bracket that seems to be handier than trying to keep it on top of the shanty. I used it yesterday and it works fine so far but not much snow where I fished. Looks like I'll have to smooth the edge of the angle on my base top so I can get the shanty back on it easier while I'm on the ice. If you want a pic I could probably post one.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics would be great. I'm trying to get something I can remove my sled just fits in my truck with the bed cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My file sizes are over 128kb and I can't figure out how to resize them to get a smaller file size. I emailed them to you instead.

W

·
0 Posts
I built a simple H-frame out of treated wood and screwed some 1/2" ply (with bent tips to act as skis) to the bottom of it. I can set my clam on it and it's much better than pulling the clam by itself.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Here's mine. Built it 16 years ago when I moved here to Colorado.
Good for deep snow, Built with garage sale ski's, 2 x 3's and plywood.
8)

·
Registered
135 Posts
MIKINAAK said:
Here's mine. Built it 16 years ago when I moved here to Colorado.
Good for deep snow, Built with garage sale ski's, 2 x 3's and plywood.
8)

You have to register that thing, or just pull it with a 5th wheel? Where's the pole for the girls? I'll be looking for that!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I could not stand dragging the 'voyager' by hand on snow or pavement. It becomes a larger issue when the darn thing weighs what my plump x wife would dead. (She is not plump, or dead and parted without too many malice feelings. She would be easy to haul in my clam.)

I used some boogie wheels from a snowmobile and some $10 downhill ski's. The wheels work like magic. The mother of invention is necessity getting the loaded clam to the ice.

http://yfrog.com/6gclamwheels2j

The above link is the photo of my wheels and skis

·
Registered
246 Posts
I buillt a sled of 1/8" angle iron attached to some ski's but the ski's don't always work real well either. My new sled (half built) is from the bases of old web-style lawn chairs with the bases used lengthwise as the ski's, screwed and pop-riveted together to the rectangular frame of an old chaise (same old set) for the top. Just right size for the Clam Pro flipover, should be light and strong.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help. After over 20 years in the Army my Knees are shot still strong as a bull knees swell when pulling Antero needed a way to make the sled pull better.

Merry Christmas
Pastor Gary

·
Registered
863 Posts
[/quote]

You have to register that thing, or just pull it with a 5th wheel? Where's the pole for the girls? I'll be looking for that!!!
[/quote]

I was going to say - watch for the dancing girls but I see that Chief is a pastor.....oh oh :eek:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I mounted a couple of used snow boards to the bottom of my clam. Floats the hut on top of the deep white stuff pretty well. Attached with wing nuts and a-hole washers for easy removal at the lake and home storage.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the snow board idea. I think I will put a 2" bushing to raise the sled. Now I have to find some used snow boards.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I made a large sled out of skis and 1" PVC about 3 years ago. It is SO light and very durable. Unfortunately, I did overload it and let it fly down Rocking Chair at 11 Mile last year and it cracked some of the PVC in the rear. I thiink I'll use it all of this year but will redesign it for 1 1/4" PVC next year.

I added 1" rings to the PVC with bandclamps. I use the 1" rings as tie off points for my bungees. It has no trouble with the Clam 1060 hut (100 pounds easily), my auger, heater, etc, probably over a total of 150 pounds.

To attach the PVC I just used a wood drill to drill through holes through the skis and attach to the PVC ends that secured the structure. Then I just cut and glued it all together. If you're interested I'll take some pix.

Did I mention that it is unbelievably light?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts