Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading up the 9th of july for 9 days of camping on flaming gorge. We used to go every year but have not made a whole family camping trip up there in quite some time. I cant wait, my daughter gets to come. I remember that this time of year in the past we mostly caught smallies galore and a few trout here and there but that was about it. I was wondering if anyone would give any advice on where to go for burbot, I caught one last trip but it was a fluke i think, and maybe a place or depth to start looking for lakers, I wont ask specifics I understand. And not sure if we are dockin in at Lucerne valley or by dutch john. Thanks for any info PM me if you like.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I read an article saying that the Wyoming fish and game department requests/mandates fishermen eat, kill, or puncture the swim bladders of all burbot.

I don't imagine this is a lake trout-esque debacle... The article seemed to indicate that if the burbot went unchecked, you could count on the smallies and trout to be few and far between.

Don't know much about burbot... Just what I read.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Glow jigs at night with sucker meat along steep rocky points is what I've always heard. Have not targeted them, though. The farther north you go, the thicker they are. Think Buckboard/Brinegar area.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips we are leaving tomorrow, I loaded up on more small mouth stuff than I will ever need I hope, and lots of glo lures Im gonna try for burbot as much as possible.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I read an article saying that the Wyoming fish and game department requests/mandates fishermen eat, kill, or puncture the swim bladders of all burbot.
The lake trout just keep getting fatter as the burbot (fresh water cod) thrive. Good luck at one of the greatest lakes in the western region. Love me some burbot, a 50lb laker knows whats good for dinner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts