Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my kid's baseball team won their state allstars game this weekend, which means I have to go to North Dakota for their regional competition. Any of you guys from North Dakota, know of any good places to fish? Possibly north South Dakota? We will be at Oakes, ND... southwest of Fargo (maybe I'll find some money ;) )
I really dont mind what I catch, but I would like to target fish I cant normally target here if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If I was from North Dakota, you think I'd admit it? :-\

North Dakota fishing is not that much different from Minnesota fishing. Better in the north, poorer in the south. You will be in the south. Need I say more?

I take it you won't be able to leave the baseball team and take off and drive a long ways, so you might want to consider Lake Tewaukon which is at least in the same county, and has pike, walleye, and musky in it.

Regards, W. E.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walking Eagle said:
If I was from North Dakota, you think I'd admit it?  :-\
Haha, now that you mention it I dont know anyone that says they are from North Dakota. I wonder if thats a good thing or not.

No I wont be able to leave the baseball team.. But if we get owned, (I hope the do well but..) if. I already have the time off we can go up north and fish away the blues. ;D

BTW, the tournament will be on ESPN so you can cheer us on. :p

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fountain Valley Allstars... He a Pitcher and he also playes centerfield/third base, depending on who is pitching. Tournament rules they are only allowed to pitch 6 innings in 2 consecutive games.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
11 year olds... Hopefully your boy wasnt on the Santa Fe team. :p

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
no my son wasnt on the allstar team
hell i got fired as a coach this year for sticking up
for the kids that dont play that good

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fishingkats said:
no my son wasnt on the allstar team
hell i got fired as a coach this year for sticking up
for the kids that dont play that good
Been thrown out of a few games for that reason myself. :p

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
the guy down here things he is a god or something for
running the leage down here

he told me that i didnt know what i was doing and i didnt know how to work with kids

which is funny since im the one at the rec department
that runs alot of the kid sports here in our town

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Sometimes local information is the best. Drop by one of the local bars and find a couple of fishermen and buy them a beer and they will soon be telling you some good spots to throw a line in. Works for me every time. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
hey we are all proud to be "FROM" Nodak! If you can take some extra time since you are going that far anyway, Devils Lake is unbelievable fishing for Northerns/Walleyes  as is Oahe in South Dakota.  Bring plenty of bug spray :)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Hey Epic,

I grew up in South Dakota. All the people from North Dakota are a bunch of yahoos. ;D

I can give you some advice on South Dakota and My brther in law lives in Bismarck, I can check with him on other places. Also what type of fish do you want to target?

Walleye try Waubay Lake.
Muskie try Amsden.

Both of these are near the Webster/Waubay area. Lots of great fishing lakes in that area.

Walleye, crappie and Bluegill try Richmond. Outside of Aberdeen.

For Bullhead and walleye Elm Lake. Just south of the ND/SD border on US-281.

Bass and Bluegill, Roy Lake, Near Britton.

The James River can be good for Walleye, Northern and catfish. The locals call it the the "Jim River" orjust the "the Jim"

Walleye can be very good on the Oahe Reservoir (Missouri River from Gettysburg to Mobridge, though a boat makes fishing it much easier.

I'll check with a couple of people and see if I can get you a whats hot whats not on that area.

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
woot, good looking out guys... this is more information then I got on the Nodak boards. They all want to know about the baseball tournament. :p

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
bobco said:
Devils Lake is unbelievable fishing for Northerns/Walleyes  as is Oahe in South Dakota.
Yeah, if you've got the time Devils Lake is where you want to be. The pike there are plentiful and seem almost stupid compared to ours. This lake is so big, you'll want to have a full tank of gas to travel around from spot to spot. I think "6 Mile Bay?" was one of my favorite spots, but we were there for the white bass. Saw a local catch a 7 or 8 lb walleye from shore by one of the bridges on minnow and bobber. That thing was fat!!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Epic,

Here are the numbers for some bait shops in the North East South Dakota area. They might be able to give you some advice for fishing that area.

Another thing If you buy minnows there and if you ask for a dozen you will get a strange look. They sell minnows by the scoop. I have had as many as 2 dozen in a scoop but always at least a dozen.

You can also buy a single day license or if you will have several days you and Cody can both fish on a "Family License" Its good for you, spouse and any kids under the age of 16. The only catch is you are all limited to the equilavalent limit for one person. I buy that when I go visit my Parents in Aberdeen. Same price as an adult out of state annual license.

Kokales Fishing Gallery 624 South 16th Street Aberdeen SD 57401 US (605) 225-0222

Matterns Sporting Goods and Bait 107 North Roosevelt Street Aberdeen SD 57401 US (605) 229-2787

Grenville Sport & Convenience Grenville SD 57239 US (605) 486-4641 (Waubay and Webster area)

Highway 10 Bait Service Sisseton SD 57262 US (605) 698-7379 (Roy Lake, Big Stone Lake Area)

Good Luck in Oakes.

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts