Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to check out the canyon tommaro do you think it is iced over??? I realy need to do some fishing Im going crazy.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I dont think the canyon ices up... it gets low and the trout stack up, last winter when I fished it it was like ducks in a barrel.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea Epics right. Some bank ice and some drifters. I have done great in the canyon this time of the year. Do yourself a favor and go hit it now........are you out the door yet?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
midges.....tiny ones. Black beauts that type a stuff, maybe some SMALL brown worms, $&%^ one of my favorite flies for the canyon in the winter is black thread with a silver wire wrap, size 24. Tie 365,000 an hour.

·
Registered
265 Posts
On those really cold days, don't forget to try a small black or olive wooly bugger... Sometimes they are looking for some real meat to eat... I've slayed them before in Dec./Jan. on these.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Tim-COS said:
On those really cold days, don't forget to try a small black or olive wooly bugger...   Sometimes they are looking for some real meat to eat... I've slayed them before in Dec./Jan. on these.
I've never had luck with the wooley bugger or leech patterns in the Canyon, but on the same day I can go over to the dream stream and get alot of hits on it. But just because it doesnt work for me, doesnt mean you shouldnt try it as it works for Tim.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It won't be frozen over. My experience and advice is to lay off the gold beadhead patterns in the winter (mercury/crystal beads are OK). Small pheasant tails (16 or 18), black beauties, and zebra midges work well. You might also want to try a small egg pattern. For dries the griffiths gnat in size 20-24 is the winter ticket and sometimes even a BWO. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts