Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Anthony, they are not being released until early spring. If Theo will give his up for a few days, I will see what I can do about replicating it. The thing looks sick... Do you have any "big boy poppers"? They are a MUST!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
COnative said:
Oyey.. I found this on a tying forum a few weeks back. this guy has the same kind of idea with the walk the dog motion. I guess what makes it move that was is the shape of the head and weight on the back of the hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeatp-UTY7M
Thanks brotha, you can count on a handful of those bad boys being tied up soon. Great find. I have some ideas to make it more "wiper" friendly too.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew there had to be one commit. But I did hear that some shops were getting the fly early. I do have some big poppers but not that one. Maybe I can do some testing out for Theo just sure that one he has is good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I made a trip from Louisiana to Colorado earlier this year and enjoyed the heck out of being in the mountains. Even though I won't return to your state for at least a year, I still lurk around this forum.

While I skipped marsh fishing this year because of the BP oil spill, let me tell you that this is the time of the year when you can catch really big redfish. Expect your drag to be put to the test and tippets to break. Toss to the shoreline for reds and away from shore there will be speckled trout. In between you are likely to hook some flounder or black drum.

Bottom line, the weather is nice and the fish are waiting.

Update...I just notice you won't be here until December...scratch the speckled trout. They will be there, but holding in deep holes. While they can be caught, you won't be hooking them accidentally while casting the shoreline for redfish.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I heard this is the best time of the year for big redfish. I never caught a redfish but I heard they fight like bonefish. I can't wait to put my drag to the test. here is the guide we are going with have you heard of him. Thanks Anthony

http://www.e-zfly.com/

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
TonyQ said:
I knew there had to be one commit. But I did hear that some shops were getting the fly early. I do have some big poppers but not that one. Maybe I can do some testing out for Theo just sure that one he has is good.
Sorry Tony, I've already been field testing it a little >:D Here is a little sneak peak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqh-Jd4FQOg
I will be at Pueblo tomorrow...hopefully I can get a little wiper footage on it

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
PescadoDiablo4 said:
TonyQ said:
Sorry Tony, I've already been field testing it a little >:D Here is a little sneak peak.
Hopefully I can get a little wiper footage on it!!!

Not likely...25 mph winds right now. It is hidious out and supposed to get worse before it gets better.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
PescadoDiablo4 said:
TonyQ said:
I'm curious, Theo. How heavy is that fly?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tony,

I don't know anything about the guides at E-Z Fly Guide Service, but that doesn't mean they won't be great.

Take a look at this website for up to date fishing reports from the Louisiana Marsh...you'll see a lot written about the areas that your guide lists as his fishing waters: http://rodnreel.com/guestbook/GBView.asp

·
Registered
216 Posts
The Pole Dancer may be a hot new fly, but make sure you have some spoon flies. These are absolutly deadly on the reds. The gold epoxy is my go to fly Texas and Florida and it will work in La. Specs also chew em. Google spoon fly for pics.

Tightlines to all!!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Theo that thing looks like a pain to cast but you got to love the action. tbacala thanks for the info . vinnie I will have a box full of spoon flies when I go but I heard they twist up your leader have you had any experience with this.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Tony--If you work the spoon in a aggressive strip they will twist. When I use the spoon its usually wading in skinny H2o looking for tails or wakes. Instead of stripping lift the rod tip and strip on the way down--this gives the fly the fluttering action[side-to-side] and avoids alot of twisting. If your in weeds a use the mono weed guard. I dont care for the barbell eyes as they spook cruisen fish on the cast. Have a great time in the salt.. Tightlines--Vinnie

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey thanks but I got a couple from the link below with free shipping. I did try casting one today in a 1/0 it is not the most fun fly to throw around. I was using a 8wt with pike taper fly line a double haul is a must. The action is pretty sweet

·
Registered
216 Posts
Tony-- them flies sure do look good but at 12bucks a whack it can get expensive. If your having trouble casting on thr 8wt. you may want to go to a 9 or10wt line on you 8wt. This makes a big difference for casting the weighted head flies. Make sure you have some fresh water flies for the salt--White wolly buggers and white zonkers work well.I"m in Florida now and been hammering the snook on a #2 white crystal flash wolly bugger. They will straighten hooks -hard fighters and leapers Have fun in the salt and 20# floro leader is a must. Good fishin!! Try anglersdream.net--- and- flydealer.com for more good deals on flies

1 - 19 of 19 Posts