Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going out after work today to get a new rod. i fish from shore and i generaly use a light to medium action rod. i would love to get some more distance out of my cast with out having to go to anything bigger any recommandations . length brand and so on. thanks in advance

·
Registered
410 Posts
Was in Sportsmen warehouse the other day and they had a bunch of rods marked down. Shimano, St crox and others down $20.00 or so.

JT

·
Registered
157 Posts
campingkids said:
Was in Sportsmen warehouse the other day and they had a bunch of rods marked down. Shimano, St crox and others down $20.00 or so.

JT
I got a Shakespear 6' 2" Medium action graphite for $17.99 at sportsmans a few weeks ago. Great rod and no complaints.

They had a dozen or so.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zias have you noticed if the length of the pole has increased your casting distance. i know there are other varibles to this. however i think you shouuld be able to tell

·
Registered
157 Posts
meandmydog said:
zias have you noticed if the length of the pole has increased your casting distance. i know there are other varibles to this. however i think you shouuld be able to tell
Yes I have noticed an increase in distance. My other rod is/was a 5' 5" in UL. I can get about another 12' of cast out of the longer rod.

I am quite pleased.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice thanks i have bought 2 new rods this summer and both broke. just buying mid grade at wlly wotld so i need to find a good one

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
You might try this - first check out the really good expensive rods - G. Loomis, St. Croix, etc. Flip them around a little, try not to clobber a store clerk, and just see how they feel. Then go to the cheaper rods and try to find one that comes closest to matching the action.

I admit I haven't done this myself - but next time I am going to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts