Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided it is time to consider a shelter and really don?t want to add another 50 or 60 pounds of gear. I am packing a few extra pounds on my out of shape body, so am looking at a couple of lighter weight options for a shelter. I mostly fish Aurora Reservoir and usually make the hike back to Senac Cove. Does any one have any experience, good or bad, with the either of these shelters?

1)  HT Deluxe Polar Shelter - 72"W x 72"L x 78"H, Weght 11 lbs, $130 at Cabelas

2)  Eskimo Quickfish Ice Shelter - Three-Person - 70"W x 70"L x 80"H, Weight: 19 lbs, $200 at Cabelas

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Smokin' koke said:
I am packing a few extra pounds on my out of shape body, so am looking at a couple of lighter weight options for a shelter.
Round is a shape!

As far as the shelter goes it mostly depends on how you are going to use it. If you mostly fish by yourself go with the lighter smaller shelters, if you fish with more then yourself then the heavier bigger shelters would be ok as they can help you pull it out there.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have the HP it serves its purpose lite and very easy to set up. No complaints so far I have had it for three seasons now without problem.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The only concern to keep in mind is the anchoring system you use and the durability and integrity of the shelter if you get caught in high winds. I've seen these shelters blow away or get ripped up in the winds at 11 mile in the past.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ice fisher - you have zeroed in on my area of concern. Besides the lack of a heavy sled, these models appear to shed weight by using a lighter material than those on the sleds. My impression is they are similar to my summer camping tent in material and construction.

I want to say this site is awesome because of the willingness of everyone to share information.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a Shappell...lightweight and sturdy. It has stood up to some pretty heavy winds at the Mile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts