Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going down in a week-I've fished all over TX but never this lake. If I catch stripers thats a bonus but I'm really going for the largemouth and the smallies.

I know it can be a windy lake so I'm staying at a resort in a protected cove that gives me lots of water to fish when the main lake is rough.

If anybody has been there I'd appreciate a heads up. I've been reading reports on TFF but looking for more. I'll be on the lower end of the lake.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Fished it a lot as a kid, I remember what we were doing but not many details about the lake or names of areas. We were fishing for stripers and blue cats anyway... I didn't even know the lake had smallies until a few years ago. Wish I could help, I'm really interested how you do with the brown fish.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hopefully I have good news for you. Its really become a great smallie lake-lake record is over 7.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Ed
i have fished it 2 times, both in feb for stripers, the 1st time we had our limits in 3 hours in shirtsleve weather. the 2nd time we caught 5 in 5 days and it snowed on us for 5 days,and 4-5 foot waves. i heard that the OK arm is the best for SMB.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm planning on retiring there, Hit catfish bay for smallies.
Always something to catch and both the rivers produce fish year round, the main lake has giants of many species, don't forget the back side of the dam, you will find fish.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No matter what you catch during the day, make sure you set out a rod or two for the catfish at dusk for an hour or two when you break out the beer.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have fished it a couple of times in March. Pounded the stripers two years ago spin fishing out of a boat with marabou 1/2 oz. jigs and caught some smallies and crappie in the river channels. Last year I stopped but did not fish as it was cold and windy. Two and three foot waves on the lake with 40 mile gusts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts