Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
I did it a few times in my youth and saw it done every so often, but I grew up with a pool table at home and spent a lot of time in pool halls. I haven't played in 25 years....jeez how I've changed.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Me? No. But when I was stationed in Groton I knew a guy who could do it about 80% of the time. He tried to teach a couple of the other guys how (not me cause I totally SUCK at pool) but they never really got the hang of it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
sort of like a hole in one in golf, so you remember these. yes, 5 times. one evening at a bar i did it twice in a row (with a proper rack). crazy luck er krazluck ;D but true

you have to break solid and get some serious serious movement of all the balls using the full table and bumped rebounds to usually get a chance.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Not even close to being like a hole-in-one in golf. All you need is a tight rack, angle, the correct english and plenty of power on the stroke. Properly done and the eight ball goes in the side pocket opposite the side you strike the one ball. Once you get it down, its not that uncommon, but still far from a gimmie. You can also hit the one ball dead on with top english and when the racked balls separate, the cue ball has enough top spin to reverse back in, hit the eight ball and put it in a corner pocket. Did two in a row, using the first method, quite a few times but don't think I ever got to three. In my heyday, I was know to run a table or two. ;D

Now golf, I've never had a hole-in-one and I've played a lot of rounds and I sure as heck wouldn't put money on a round like I laid on the table.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Yes. Line your queue ball directly up with the front ball and the middle back ball (8 should be inline) and put a fair amount of forward english on it. Ideally, it'll break all balls around the middle 3 balls, including 8 ball, and the forward english will be in free drift going towards the 8 ball. At that point it's a 25% likelihood that you pocket the 8 ball.

W

·
0 Posts
beadheadred said:
once (in a real money game years back), almost got killed in Laramie, WY over it. Pretty funny story.......
That's funny! I grew up in Laramie. One time at Copper's Corner me and my bro almost brawled with some guys because the guys we were playing didn't know the difference between bar rules and valley rules. We were playing bar rules. Eventually cooler heads prevailed. Good times!

C

·
0 Posts
many times! It's not easy but there is a way to break to have the best chance. I have a table in my house so I have quite a few under my belt. Best chance is breaking from the side and getting a solid hit. Gotta have a tight break though and the 8 usually goes in the side pocket

1 - 14 of 14 Posts