Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's plenty of online reviews, but I'd also like to discuss this here. I bought this new on clearance for $6 with free line. I'm trying to decide between keeping it or selling on ebay. How many of you use this baitcaster & find the twitchin bar effective for finessing worms or maybe even subtle twitches with a jerkbait? I did see some bad feedback about the twitchin bar breaking, but also saw plenty of fans of this unique reel. $6 bucks ain't bad, eh? It's a tad heavy at 9.4oz, yet plenty fast at 7.1:1.

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=234
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Re: Anybody out there use the Daiwa Megaforce "Twitchin Bar" Baitcaster?

My buddy has a couple of them.. I have used them and they are fine I guess. I don't think they improve any technique they just give you something to play with. IMO.

I wouldn't go and spend the money but it sounds like you got a good enough deal I would keep it for the simple reason I like to be able to try something different that may work. Ya never know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
I have two and so far they have worked well. I use them for bottom bouncing. The twich bar brings in 6" of line everytime you touch it. Plus, if you touch the twich bar, it will engage the reel. I also used it for spooning. Seems to work well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,554 Posts
I have a Daiwa Viento that has a twitchin' bar. To tell the truth, I don't use it much unless I am drinking a beer while fishing. Then it comes in handy. I also use it more at night with jerkbaits than anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,425 Posts
I have a magforce paired with a Bernie rod that is my sons flippin stick.





That reel sucks bigtime.

I have 2 vientos and they are ok. Great for throwing light baits on light line. Perfect for fishing tubes while drinking beer smoking cigarettes and pulling tubes. (like riv said)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,425 Posts
Yeah the twitching bar is really only functional as a line management/recovery tool and can get in the way during an earthshattering hookset, disengaging the spool resulting in a smattering of F-Bombs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,467 Posts
I run a Megaforce and a Viento. I thought they were the coolest things ever and just had to have them. I use the reels, but I havent used the twitchin bar basiclly ever  :D I actually hate the Viento all around, but the cheaper megaforce does alright by me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
One of the best innovations in reels in a long time but they are marketing it to the wrong group of fisherman. I love mine for walleye fishing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fowl_Hooked said:
One of the best innovations in reels in a long time but they are marketing it to the wrong group of fisherman. I love mine for walleye fishing.
Interesting. Would you mind elaborating on your technique?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the conclusion I've drawn is sell it on ebay since I'm not into smoking & drinking. Thanks guys. No really, I've decided to sell it because it doesn't seem worth buying an additional trigger rod just for a reel that repeatedly gets bad reviews on many websites. I paid $6 & it should sell for about 10 times that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
FISHAH0LIC said:
So the conclusion I've drawn is sell it on ebay since I'm not into smoking & drinking. Thanks guys. No really, I've decided to sell it because it doesn't seem worth buying an additional trigger rod just for a reel that repeatedly gets bad reviews on many websites. I paid $6 & it should sell for about 10 times that.
Just because you have the twitching bar doesn't mean you have to use it. Megaforce reels are cheep but they work fine, especially for 6 bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bassboy said:
FISHAH0LIC said:
So the conclusion I've drawn is sell it on ebay since I'm not into smoking & drinking. Thanks guys. No really, I've decided to sell it because it doesn't seem worth buying an additional trigger rod just for a reel that repeatedly gets bad reviews on many websites. I paid $6 & it should sell for about 10 times that.
Just because you have the twitching bar doesn't mean you have to use it. Megaforce reels are cheep but they work fine, especially for 6 bucks.
I know but $50 bucks or so can buy me plenty of other fishing goodies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,844 Posts
I like the twitching bar, but not the reel... The bar is usefull if you are aware of it and make it a point to learn to use it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
walleye seeker said:
I know but $50 bucks or so can buy me plenty of other fishing goodies.
i will up my offer to $35.00 if you want to sell it
[/quote]

But your PM said you prefer a lefty. I would be more prone to keep it, but since it's not a lefty, it's gotta go. Sounds like one of your Pueblo neighbors might be willing to sell theirs, especially if they quit smoking hehe.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top