Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in anybodys impression on this line. Castability is great but there were some other things I didn't like so much. Thinking of spooling up some 12 or 14 lb on a reel and trying it again.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I tried it and got away from it - tried it again last month and wont go back. I used #6 and it bird nested too much on me. Might be better in larger sizes but I know everyone else I have talked to who has tried it hates it as well.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I tried to like it... but just don't... It casts so so nice, but it's "ribbony" and that seems to effect a few things. My thoughts on line in general are always, use what is best for the situation while maximizing strength and minimalizing visibility. For casting real light stuff or for when you need zero stretch, the choice is either braid or nano, so when deciding between the two, I have to figure out which one is all around the best... and nano has too many small issues to be better than braid.

Nano is more delicate than braid, it has more memory (still not a ton, but more) and it's more expensive. It miiiight cast a tad further, but man, I can throw Suffix 832 nearly as far. Suffix has such a great feel and i know this sounds weird, but Nano looks like **** after a while.. like twisted ribon. For ice fishing, I tried it, but the memory was more than I like... It's not horrid line, but for the price, I stay with Suffix 832.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
I tried to like it... but just don't... It casts so so nice, but it's "ribbony" and that seems to effect a few things. My thoughts on line in general are always, use what is best for the situation while maximizing strength and minimalizing visibility. For casting real light stuff or for when you need zero stretch, the choice is either braid or nano, so when deciding between the two, I have to figure out which one is all around the best... and nano has too many small issues to be better than braid.

Nano is more delicate than braid, it has more memory (still not a ton, but more) and it's more expensive. It miiiight cast a tad further, but man, I can throw Suffix 832 nearly as far. Suffix has such a great feel and i know this sounds weird, but Nano looks like **** after a while.. like twisted ribon. For ice fishing, I tried it, but the memory was more than I like... It's not horrid line, but for the price, I stay with Suffix 832.
Damn we think EXACTLY alike on this subject. tried Nano for 1 ice season threw the rest away. Only on ice, never even tried to cast it! I use 832 it casts like a dream perfect manners ice and open.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I like it for My spinning reels...
Yes, It does kinda become "ratty" looking after a season...
But, I just reverse the line on the spool when it does.
Usually lasts a whole season... and I only spool up, maybe, 60 yds at a wack.
Combined with a flouro leader, it gives Me GREAT sensitivity when jigging, blading, snap jigging, etc..
Only thing I notice is that it "digs into" itself on the spool once in a while..

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I also tried it ice fishing a couple years back.... didn't last long before I switch though... I'll prob. never try again.... I'll stick with braid when I need to reduce stretch :/

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting-I have been using Suffix 832 for years now-as said, its silky smooth and behaves well on a spinning reel. I use 15 but mostly 20 lb. Guess theres no need to change things up.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I use it and like it for my braid applications. I started using Berkeley Sensation in 8 and 10 lb test now for all my casting shallow applications. I got tired of constantly tieing leaders onto my braid in tournaments and guide trips because of the constant snagging. Sensation is more sensitive than mono and I can break it off a lot easier than braid. It is the best compromise I have found between mono and braid.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
I use the white all the time with zero issues and it casts a country mile...the green stuff broke and frayed on me, dont know why it would be different...use the 8 and 10 lb all the time...had a good friend give me a spool of bright optic green for line watching...havent put it on yet...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've have tried just about every major brand of braid on the market. NONE are without flaws. Nano, just like a few have said casts a country mile. I will agree with Z that the white is the better of the two colors I have tried.

It really depends on what you are trying to use it for. Shimano Tournament 8 is super for casting even farther than Nano and works well on the shallow spools CI4 reels. But, it is ungodly expensive and hard to find. Sunline has a few different braids that are solid. Berkley Fireline is ok. For the money I really like the price point of the braided Dyneema brands on ebay. You can usually find 300-500 yd spools for under $15 and it has held up every bit as good as the Big Name Brands. They usually ship from China for free and don't take more than a week to get here.

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
Yes but I won't be able to reply until I get back from Japan!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I've have tried just about every major brand of braid on the market. NONE are without flaws. Nano, just like a few have said casts a country mile. I will agree with Z that the white is the better of the two colors I have tried.

It really depends on what you are trying to use it for. Shimano Tournament 8 is super for casting even farther than Nano and works well on the shallow spools CI4 reels. But, it is ungodly expensive and hard to find. Sunline has a few different braids that are solid. Berkley Fireline is ok. For the money I really like the price point of the braided Dyneema brands on ebay. You can usually find 300-500 yd spools for under $15 and it has held up every bit as good as the Big Name Brands. They usually ship from China for free and don't take more than a week to get here.
Great info, Ninja.... have you fished Suffix 832? I notice that it is significantly better than power pro... how does the Dyneema compare?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Jason, Suffix 832 is solid. Just seemed to fade and fray quicker than the Dyneema. For my heavier line set-ups I use Dyneema or Seaguar. Haven't used Fireline much so I got some in 6 lb to try it out for small plastics. Never really liked Power Pro which is shocking since I am a Shimano guy. Seemed really stiff...

But truth be told, I got spoiled with the Daiwa 8 Braid Evo Tournament (somehow I didn't catch that I put Shimano instead of Daiwa). That stuff cast even further than Nano of equivalent diameter. Drawback is it is very hard to find in the U.S. and it is very spendy compared to the other braids. I typically use lighter braids than most people even when I use expensive jerkbaits unless I'm jigging in heavy cover with raps or blades. Then I will switch to the Dyneema or something like Seaguar. For me I like to be able to cover as much distance as I can when I am on foot so light quality braid is a must. Wind knots can happen with all braids on a spinning reel from my experience. Can't speak to braids on baitcasters (haven't convinced myself there is an advantage or need to switch) as I have found several spn rods than can handle up to 3 oz baits with ease.

Not saying baitcasters suck.... But why change when what I do is working????

·
Registered
484 Posts
Okay, I hope you guys are right about the Sufix 832. Went and picked up some today to load on my ice reels. Of course it will all be for naught if it doesn't start dropping in temperature soon. It was 75 degrees in Delta today when I passed through on my way back to Montrose from Grand Junction. Wind isn't helping any either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts