Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Growing up in Oregon and fishing for Salmonand & Steelhead since childhood. My brother still lives there and fishes out of his jet boat using frozen cut baits. He picked up from guides he has gone with the habit of putting on surgical gloves as soon as he starts to rig up his rods. Trying to eliminate any human scent at all that maybe passed to the bait. I have seen guys who smoke try to be carefull while touching there baits. I wonder if water temp or species makes a difference salmon / steelhead vs. walleye / bass. I am considering starting to use some scents on my baits but I can't get myself to break out the Dr. Jellyfinger gloves yet. Anyone have a strong opinon either way.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I don't think I'd handle my lures with gasoline on my hands, but if your hands are free of nasty chemicals, I doubt your scent is enough to affect your fishing, especially if there is bait scent to drown it out. Oh the other hand (no pun intended), you may want the gloves to keep your own hands from smelling like many of the fish attractant scents I have smelled just for your own sake.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Hell my brother smokes like a crack head and either catches as many as me or more.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree with the smoking. MY dad smokes like a chimney and he usually catches bigger and more fish them me, and that includes trout.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am also from the the northwest Vancouver,Wa and i know what you mean about the gloves and its very crucial to keep the smell off of you hands when fishing for salmon and steelhead. i usally use a bar soap made from anise oil and it seems to work for me since i am a smoker :( I dont think the bass and walleye have near the nose a salmon or steelhead does

James

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Anise oil soap here too. I think touched foods have way more scent then smoke in the air. Darnit Jay will probably pick up on that too :( Darnit!

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
I was fishing 11-mile a few years ago with 2 friends. 1 smoked like a chimney and the other was a mechanic,his hands were all black and greasy. The smoker caught several trout including an 11-pounder. The mechanic outfished me 8(the limit back then) to 2. I don't think it matters to the fish,only to to the fishermans confidence.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Yeah, I don't think it matters with the human scent & stuff. I smoke while I fish and a lot more than when I don't fish, but still catch just the same amount as non-smokers. Need to quit though. It would be nice to live old enough to be like those guys in Grumpy Old Men.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
1eyeReD said:
Yeah, I don't think it matters with the human scent & stuff. I smoke while I fish and a lot more than when I don't fish, but still catch just the same amount as non-smokers. Need to quit though. It would be nice to live old enough to be like those guys in Grumpy Old Men.
Yeah but if you stopped smoking maybe you could catch bigger fish then your woman. >:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts